(34) sorry that i (will) hurt you

第三年

For Kim Minjeong, Jung Sungchan was her all. He was the first boy she'd ever meet, her first childhood friend, her first and only boyfriend, her first love and heartbreak. When people said they'll do anything for the love of their life, Minjeong is the most perfect form of that type of person.

The two years away from her birth land created huge changes. Changes that scare her off, that she tried to refuse but had to swallow up once and for all.

Her place in the squad was replaced.

Art classes didn't fascinate Jung Sungchan as much as they used to.

Sungchan doesn't love her anymore.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

She captured that very moment clearly in her memory. In fact, too clearly for her liking. For she noticed the sad eyes staring back at hers, how crystal clear the hopeless voice spoke to her. A question meant to mark a new start for her and Sungchan, turned out to be a downfall in their relationship.

She shrugged those despair looks off, thinking love will grow. He'd loved her before, he definitely capable of doing it again.

And when she beamed brightly, nodding her head almost instantly to enthusiastically answer him. "Yes! Of course, I will always say yes, Chan."

However, the sight of Sungchan getting worked up over the new girl's skinship with her boyfriend bothered her, a lot. It was a wild guess, Sungchan seems to like her.

Lee Aera.

It was Chemistry lab when Aera spilt one of the chemicals to her hand. Everyone panicked but Sungchan showed the biggest reaction. He grabbed Aera's forearm and quickly assist her to wash her hand at the sink. "Why are you so careless? That's an acid that you just poured on yourself! You're lucky it's a diluted one and not a concentrated acid."

Minjeong stayed still on her lab desk, stunned and speechless. That's exactly how he reacted when Minjeong hurt herself back then.

Perhaps when Sungchan pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and gently wipe her hands while soothing her with a: "Calm down, don't cry, okay?", Kim Minjeong realized how important Aera is to him.

She certainly didn't miss the jealousy settling on Sungchan's face whenever Changmin was around. How he turned aggressive and possessive over Lee Aera, how a person who never belittled someone started bragging about his luxurious life, how he'd only wrap his arms around her own shoulder to spark a reaction from the unbothered Lee Aera.

I'm craving some bibimbap. That's what he texted her early on the weekend. So here she was, coming over to his apartment to make him bibimbap. "You're already here? Is there anything I should buy for you?"

She shakes her head softly, lifting up the plastic bags in her hands to show the boy what she brought. "I already got all the ingredients on my way here."

They both entered the kitchen, and she found Sungchan in the middle of baking. "Wooh, what's that?"

"I bake some cupcakes for you." Sungchan beamed brightly, showing off his perfect smile. "Hope you'll like it."

And when she whispered, "I always do.", she blankly stare at the back of his broad shoulder, drawing a small sad smile over her lips. Even when I really hate them.

She folded her sleeves and tried to shrug off the negative emotions consuming her. She was about to take the knife when the doorbell rang. Sungchan, who was in the middle of taking out the trays pleaded with his puppy eyes. "Minjeong, can you help me take my wallet and pay for the delivery? I get us some boba. It's on my study table, by the way."