(43) - would it still be the same?

第三年

Sungchan.

Routinely, she knocked on the door of my thoughts

Routinely, she knocked on the door of my thoughts. At the most random hour, dominating my mind.  As I revised the compiled notes she gave me before pre-Suneung, in which she tried scratching off Changmin's name written on the front page but I could still read them and the little note of: "my giraffe ji changmin must score this exam too okay!!!". As I drove past the Aurora Cafe, where I can still make out the silhouette of Mark and her— her tender gaze as she looked him in the eyes, the tears welling up in her eyes as she apologized, the longing in his eyes and the regret in hers. As I went to the beach, finding myself wondering if she still hates the ocean for taking someone who meant the world to her.

I wished I could mean something to her, as well.

Even now, as I was preparing for our dinner, seeing her laughing over something, even from a distance, was enough to put a smile on my face. Like what I regularly bragged to her before, I could cook and bulgogi, her favourite meal, was only a piece of cake.

"Let me help you with that," Minjeong silently chuckled, taking over the knife in my hand. "You should go and have some rest, Chan."

Her short hair had grown much longer by now, reaching her shoulders. She hated long hair, she always does— Mrs Kim died when she had long hair and Minjeong had decided to spend the rest of her life hating on everything revolving around her mother's death. I ruffled her hair using my clean hand, "Want to go to the saloon, after this camp?"

"I want to keep them this time." Unlike how I expected, Minjeong just turned down my offer. She attentively chopped off the tomatoes I had washed earlier, a smile, definitely a sincere one formed on her lips as she continued.  "Don't you think it's about time, Sungchan, for me to be brave enough to accept that mom will never come back?"

If you told me, three years ago, that Kim Minjeong finally could accept her mother's passing with an open arm, I'd ridicule you. It was a wound so enormous that she chose to walk away from my life. We parted away. We became distant. She watched me as I nod my head, admitting her words. "You should, it's been a while, Minjeong. It's time for you to stop hurting."

"Sungchan?" She looked up at me. Fifteen years ago, I was the one who had to tilt up my chin to admire her face. Funny, it's her turn to raise her head up to look me in the eyes because, in my mind, she'd always been my little Minjeong. My precious Minjeong. Her gaze shifted to a direction I was initially staring, rhetorically asking me."If I'd never walk away, would you still love me the same?"

Fifteen years were so long, that I knew I was unable to lie; I recognized the pain flashing in her eyes when I decided to be honest. "I'd still fell out of love, Minjeong."