Music theory

"My beautiful man, it's time to wake up!" My voice rings on repeat throughout my bedroom, the alarm signaling that class is starting in an hour.

I sigh and open my eyes, taking my time to sit up and stretch. I am most certainly not a morning person.

Slowly pulling myself off of my bed, I make my way to the bathroom. I turn on the tap and splash cold water on my face, making eye contact with myself in the mirror.

"You are going to have a fantabulous day," I affirm to myself. I then pull off my tank top and sweats and hop in the shower.

I hum to myself under the warm water as memories of last night resurface.

Eros and I kissing, Apollo interrupting. Even though it was unpredictable, that's what made it exciting.

I wonder if Eros really is a player, I think to myself. He definitely could be, and his mother is Aphrodite. I then remember how he held my hand, giving me his full attention the entire night. Nah, I realize. He must genuinely like me.

Stepping out of the shower, I wrap a towel around my waist and use my finger to wipe the fog off of the mirror into the shape of a smiley face.

Who wouldn't like me? I'm adorable.

I brush my teeth and walk back to my room to slip on patterned pants with a white shirt and jean jacket, placing silver studs on each of my ears.

I look hot!

Checking the time, I realize I've got ten minutes before class starts.

Ah shit! I don't know where my class is yet.

I hastily grab a handful of strawberries and scurry out the door, waving hi to a couple peers on my way out.

I make my way to the main building on campus, walking up to a nymph behind the front desk.

"Hey, can you tell me where professor Dolos's class is?"

The nymph brushes her long blue hair behind her ear and looks up at me with disinterest.

"He has several, which class are you enrolled in?"

"Godly secrecy, I believe?" I fumble with my necklace, slightly anxious as I look at the clock.

"Your name?"

"Hermes, God of-"

"His class started three minutes ago," she chides.

"Yes, I know. That's why I'm kind of in a rush... see? Can you just give me some directions?"

"Hmm, I don't see your name on his registrar."

"What? I specifically signed up for his class and double checked this morning."

"I'm sorry, you're not on here."

I groan and facepalm in frustration. "Can you put me in there?"

"No, sign-ups closed three weeks ago."

"What am I supposed to do?" I place my elbow on the counter, looking down at her.

"It looks like instead of his class you're signed up for music theory with professor Euterpe."

"Music theory?! I didn't sign up for that!"

"Then don't go," the nymph shrugs. "I couldn't care less. Stop acting like it's my fault, these things happen. Especially in freshman year."

"Fine." I grumble. "Where is the music dude's class?"

"Fine arts building, first floor. Room 1007." She extends her arm, a sticky note with the directions resting on her finger.

"Thanks," I mutter, taking the sticky note.

I make my way out the main building and towards the arts center. It's one of the larger buildings, with pillars skillfully painted to look like scenes in nature.

Stepping inside, the typically marble tiles appear to be clouds, and there is a gentle sonata playing in the background.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but this building is pretty cool.

Making my way to the end of the hall, I make note of the correct classroom and stride into the large room with vaulted ceilings. Half of the classroom has been utilized to form a small platform stage, again the marble painted to form clouds.

I walk to the far right, and take a seat next to the couple dozen students in the class.

I would have been embarrassed to enter late, but with how good I look today it's more of a grand entrance.

"Who are you?" The professor turns to me. "We just finished introductions. Why don't you introduce yourself?"

I stand up and slide my hand down my shirt to eliminate any wrinkles.

"I'm Hermes," I grin. "I'm a freshman, and I accidentally took this course."

There are a few chuckles from my seated classmates, and the professor looks at me with slight distaste.

"I would hope my students would want to take my class," she sighs. "Let's hope you know what an instrument is."

An even louder peal of humor ripples through the class and I frown and return to my seat.

"Unfortunately, a student is already sitting in that seat, so let's have you move to the second row, hmm?"

I roll my eyes and stand up, looking down as I place myself in the only empty seat remaining in the row behind me. I feel a hand on my shoulder and turn to my right, Circe's bright eyes meeting mine.

"Circe!" I smile.

"I know it was an accident that you ended up in here, but I'm glad I now have someone I like on this class."

I chuckle lightly. "Me too, maybe it won't suck as much now."

"Keep it down, will you?" A deep and extremely familiar voice sighs from my left. I turn to face the prick himself, Apollo.

"Hey golden brat," I smirk. "I didn't ask to be here."

"I wish you'd transfer," he rolls his eyes.

"I already tried. Trust me, after seeing you I'm tempted to give it a second go."

"Alright!" The professor claps her hands together and stands on the cloud platform, grabbing our attention. She clears her throat.  "I know some professors keep it simple on the first day, but I'd like to see what each of you individuals have to offer. By next class period, I want each of you to construct or prepare some sort of instrumental product to present to the class. Be-it a composition, or piece to play, or something else that's up to you."

"Seriously?" I groan to Circe. "It's the first day, and I've never played music."

Circle laughs and pats my arm in humor. "Well, you'd better have a natural inclination for it."

I hmph and cross my arms. Apollo clears his throat to gain my attention.

"Well, I look forward to seeing you make a spectacle of yourself again," he chuckles. "You seem to have a gift for doing so."

I bite my cheek, trying to withhold my anger. I'd show this arrogant god!

"I'm sorry, but I think you're sorely mistaken. I'll blow everyone in this class away, and you'll be overlooked."

"Betting against the god of music? Yeah, we'll see."

Apollo looks too amused to be threatened, turning his head upwards as he laughs. Goddess, even his laugh is musical. "Good luck, you'll need it." He smirks.

I frown and give him an obviously fake smile. "Ha-ha. I guess we will."

Holy Zeus am I going to show him.