four.

sapnap was used to being teased by his friends, far too used to it, but what he wasn't used to was them being silent about something,

and anna was that something.

"guys, we used to be friends in highschool, okay? it's not like you can change it so stop acting like we dated or something! you're being weird." sapnap spoke, interrupting the awkward silence his friends created,

"well-" dream started,

"well, what?" the boy knew exactly where this conversation was going,

"i mean towards the end you were pretty close too-" dream began once more, before sapnap continued to shut him up,

"it wasn't even like that!"

"it's not even like that!" the boy laughed at his best friend, laying back onto the bed next to her, his shoulders hitting hers as he got comfortable,

"well what is it then? you don't like her?" anna laughed, turning her head to face his,

he shrugged, "she's just a friend."

"so? friends is just the start of it." she spoke, though she truly did feel like her friend liked the girl in their english class, she only hoped that it wasn't true.

"well yeah-" his cheeks flushed red as he looked away from the girl, "but i've got my eyes on someone else."

her lips tilted up slightly at his words, getting a sense of hope as she thought about that someone being her, "so who is it then? i'm your best friend, i deserve to know!"

he laughed once more, "someone very, cool? i don't know?"

"you don't think i'm cool?" the girl spoke, a sense of boldness in her tone.

once again, the boys face turned a bright shade of pink at her words, "well- i- yeah i think you're cool, anna."

"even cooler than that special someone?" she asked, even though she was afraid of the answer,

he let out a small laugh at her words, "i'd say you're about the same."

"just admit it, nick! you liked her!" george spoke, giggling as he talked too his microphone,

"well that was obvious!" sapnap spoke, dream laughing in the background, "but that doesn't mean she was in love with me or something!"

"but she was-" dream was once again cut off,

"no, she wasn't. she just- i-" george was the one cutting sapnap off this time,

"then why isn't she still your best friend right now?"

"whatever, guys. i'm going to bed, goodnight." he spoke, quickly hanging up and shaking his head.

a lot of nights had ended like this recently, and the more it happened, the more he thought about how close it was getting to the day he had to talk to her on the manhunt.

would she even recognize him?

or was dream, right? did she know that it was her nick?

-

"hey, mama! have you spoken to nicks mom recently?" the girl spoke softly to the phone against her ear, a granola bar stuffed in her mouth,

"not really no, not since everything happened. we've spoken a few times. how are you feeling?" the sweet voice rang through the phone as anna chewed,

"i'm alright, still can't taste anything though," she replied, looking down at the bar before taking another bite, "have you really not talked to her?"

"no, anna, i haven't talked to her- well- i saw her at the store last month, she said nicks been doing real well lately!" her mother spoke of the incident, remembering sapnaps mother speak of how well he was doing on his 'career'

anna felt her heart drop at the words, "oh." 

she thought maybe he was doing how she was doing, wishing every night to message the boy, or to even just hear his voice. she wished that this hadn't even happened in the first place, she wished that she could time travel and completely change it.

but she couldn't.

and as her mom spoke about something her sister did, anna stared motionless at her wall, all of her feelings crashing down at her at once, only pulled out by her mother,

"anna- anna! are you listening?"

the girls eyes opened white, "yeah, mom! sorry, zoned out a bit."

she heard a lough breath heard over the phone, "anna, love, i know you miss him. you should just tell him!"

anna shook her head, "no, it'd never be like how it was before, mama."

another loud breath was let out by her mother, "do you really want it to be like how it was before?"

the girl thought for a moment, biting the inside of her cheek as she sat silently, "no."

"then you should tell him."

anna sighed, "he doesn't feel the same."

"anna, i've seen you two together since he moved in three doors down when you were four. i've seen everything from the background, and if i know anything sweetie, that's love."

"i don't love him." she spoke,

her mother shook her head from the other side of the phone, "maybe you don't now, but you did."

and she did.

and she still does.

the call with her mother ended soon after that, leaving anna to sit and think about the words that left the woman's mouth.

maybe she did love him still. lord knows she did then.

but anna knew that the boy who lived three houses down wasn't in love with her, he never was.

he was just the boy who lived three houses down.

he was just the boy who was there for her when she needed someone, the boy who would drop everything for her.

he was the boy who helped clean her room when she fell into her depressive episodes, the one who would laugh hysterically to the office with her, her best friend.

nick armstrong was not in love with anna, and she knew that.

but she was entirely wrong.

el speaking....

short chapter today,
sorry !!

drink some water, love
u :) x