twenty-three.

maybe it was that she was leaving soon, or maybe it was just the situation all together, but the thought of ignoring nick never, ever, crossed anna's mind,

until now.

she knew it would just make them both overthink even more, yet she was still doing it and truthfully the boy wasn't putting much effort into talking too her either.

she heard the front door slam, which was odd, it was nearing midnight, and the middle of a snow storm at that, but she ignored it. for once she didn't get distracted, letting the thoughts swirl through her brain like milk inside of a coffee cup.

brightening the whole thing.

nick truly did brighten her life, he was a light. it seemed ironic too her that his online-personality was always associated with fire because the boy was exactly that, fire. he burned her soul in such a way that she couldn't get rid of because he left a scar.

but too anna, that was good.

she liked that he left her wanting more, too be burned more by his love. it confused her that she thought so highly of him, and still assumed he didn't feel the same. yet deep down inside, anna knew he felt the same, she always had. she just hadn't admitted that to herself yet.

her door suddenly slammed opened, her father, who was surprisingly sober, was the one behind it.

"i just interrupted a deep thought, haven't i?" the man asked,

the sounds around her became louder as she focused, hearing the wind outside. anna furrowed her eyebrows, that's what he had to ask her? he hasn't seen her in weeks and decided this is what he had too say? it hurt her, but it made her happy in a way, it's like he never left.

"what do you mean?"

he walked towards her bed, sitting down on the end of it, "i have interrupted something up there, anna, don't lie. are you thinking about nick?"

"how did you know that?" she sat up softly,

her father laughed, "i can just tell. you always have that look when you talk about him, thinking about him included. it's how i think of your mom."

anna barley believed it, "you love mom?"

"you love nick?" he was fast too speak, his head tilting quickly too the side. anna only stared at him, he'd caught her, "of course i love your mom, what kind of question is that, anna?" he continued,

"when i was younger i didn't think you did." she looked away, resulting in a frown to appear on the man's face,

"i made a lot of mistakes in life, you know that. but marrying your mother, having you girls, that was not a mistake. see, i knew your mom was the love of my life from a young age, i just wish young me would have cared a little bit more about myself too."

anna scrunched her face up, "so that means what? what should i do?"

"i think you should tell nick, tell him tell him. life's too short, you're leaving soon anna." he spoke,

"okay." she nodded, before watching him walk towards her door, "where are you going?"

it seemed as if anna already knew the answer, because he didn't give her one. he was going to the bar, most likely.

anna sighed as she heard his car start up outside, turning towards her window too watch him leave. it was quite dark out, and the snow was increasing by the second,

maybe her father shouldn't be going out.

the air looked thick as the snow flew in the sky, her nerves increasing at the thought.