A Seductive Spell (3)

Her

     Dead Lake. The place where traitors went to die slowly. That's where they were. Because of her crime. The crime of self-defense. 

     She had no idea how long had passed, only that they were standing on the frozen body of water and that she was certainly dying from blood loss. "Please," she begged over and over again, so very quiet, yet she knew they could hear her. But did they listen? Never. They didn't listen to her pleads before she was a killer, she should have known better than to hope for mercy as a killer.

     The ice was cold, freezing against her skin as she lay there. She was numb yet she felt everything, especially the way her skin burned, threatening to be ripped by the sticking ice. A chill settled in her bones and so did the resolve that she would not survive this. The only thing she could hope for was a miracle, but the last couple of days had taught her that fate was not in her favor. 

     "We should have killed her on our land, why bring her all the way up here?" A voice demanded.

     A female voice responded, the second in command. "She murdered our alpha, and because of it, she has absorbed his power. We must unlock it so that we may take it back." Hands felt up her legs before traveling upward. She groaned but had no strength left to fight. She barely had strength to feel the dark and powerful emotions surging through her veins. 

     She blinked in and out of consciousness as they had their concise conversation, not truly registering the content of their conversation, even as she picked up nearly every word. 

     "How can we do that?"

     "It's in her heart," Beta Louise responded so very calmly, "If we kill her, the power is lost. We need to freeze her heart. It has to be here, our ancestors will help unlock it. This ritual has been performed many times before."

     "You mean the dead in this lake? They were like her, containing that power? How do you know this?" She knew Eric's voice anywhere, although he had no true impact on her life thus far, beside adding to the constant white noise. He most likely watched her with disdain every day of her existence. 

     "It is a secret among alphas and betas. It is tradition as old as Godhead herself."

     "Then why tell me?" Eric was clearly not as quick as a whip.

     Beta Louise sighed as those that very same thought went through her mind. "Because when I become Alpha, you will be my Beta." She almost sounded regretful speaking the last part of her sentence. 

     The male had a sharp intake of breath. It appeared a light bulb had finally gone off! Perhaps that was the only thing between his ears. "You would honor me, Beta?"

     "Yes," she snapped, "now hurry before the rest of her life flees. Get it all off."

     They made haste of undressing her until she was as naked as the day she was born, the day she was cursed to be alone and unloved. The shame washed over, only worsening the chill. It sunk into her until she felt that she was burning alive as much as she was thoroughly frozen through. Surely pain like this could not last? 

     She opened her eyes briefly, trying to cover herself with her hands to give herself if not just an ounce of dignity. She could barely feel the skin of her own body. 

     "What now?" Eric demanded eagerly. His greed for the position shown through in those two words. 

     "We use this to keep a hold of her."

     She looked up briefly to see a flash of silver. An extremely heavy weight settled around her neck, so heavy that it forced her completely to the floor. It wrapped around, nearly choking her. There was no warning, no breath before the next set of events. A heavy boot pressed into her and she saw the opening in the ice too late. She dropped in like a rock. The sheet of pain washed over her and woke her up instantly. She fought hard but she continued to sink downward because of the weight around her neck. 

     Her mouth was sealed shut, and the sensation of being smothered began to overcome her. Everything was a blur as her movement began to slow. Soon she began to choke though, as her lungs threatened to explode. 

     In was impossible to explain or describe.

     She wasn't supernatural, she couldn't survive this. The last bit of energy fled and she stopped struggling.

******************************************************

     Warmth spread across her lips, spreading through her flesh like a seductive spell, filling her with life once more. The cold slammed into her again, and her blurry vision registered a creature from above. A giant. It had to be. A miracle in the least. Or perhaps more torture. 

     "Let me die," she whispered as she quickly fell into nothingness. It was a plea, a favor she was asking for. 

     "Never."

*******************************************************

     She groaned and turned her face away from the morning light and into the pillow she was laying on. She breathed in the delicious scent and smiled. But this expression didn't last as everything came back to her, bombarding her consciousness until a headache began to form. 

     She gasped, shooting up only to groan as a dizziness overtook her. She looked around in panic, certain some force beyond her was waiting to strike. Instead, she was met with silence, something she was unaccustomed to. The sound of the water rushed nearby and she even heard the caw of a bird off in the distance. Maybe, just maybe, she was dead. No, life wasn't that easy. 

     Her muscles managed to slightly unwind as no more pain was dealt her way. She looked down at the blankets that covered her. The room itself had soft, feminine colors, with matching furniture. She's never really seen anything like it beside her shed.

     Where the hell was she? Too afraid to ask out loud, she kept quiet.

     A noise went off to her right, causing her to flinch back. Nothing. Another beep.

     She inched over until she found the source of the sound. Her eyes widened. It was a phone. She'd never had one before, though she'd seen them plenty of times in the hands of the other pack members.

     Another beep, but this time the screen lit up and she read a text.

Idris: This is yours.

Idris: You will use it to contact me.

     She read, thoroughly confused. Was Idris talking to her? 

Idris: I'm talking to you. Respond.

     She whipped her head around, waiting for this mystery person to show themselves. She decided it was best to go along with it. Texting was very simple, just as she expected. 

Her: Who are you?

     His responses were instant.

Idris: My name is Idris. I saved you. What is your name?

Her: Where am I? How did you save me?

     She bit her lip in anxiety. Where was he? She was too afraid to ask.

Idris: You're safe. Your name.

Her: I don't have one.

     She built up the courage finally.

Her: Where are you?

Idris: What do you mean you don't have one?

Her: Where are you?

Idris: In my house.

Her: Am I in your house?

Idris: Yes. What can I call you then?

     She paused and realized she'd never been asked that question in her life. She liked the idea that she could finally control what someone called her. So, she had to make it count. 

Her: Call me...

Her: Avathara.

BLACK LIVES MATTER.