A Farther Distance Away (28)

Avathara

      Avathara leaned against the toilet, feeling terrible as she emptied her stomach into the bowl. Idris was rubbing her back, holding her hair as she continued to gag. She welcomed the comfort but it only could do so much for her. "That smells disgusting," she complained, rightfully so, flushing while turning her face away to avoid the splash.

      "The doctor says this is normal," Idris responded calmly, but he was definitely more nervous these days, more than she had ever seen him before. It made her anxious but she never let on about that. "Do you feel better?"

      She shrugged, waiting to see if the sickness in her belly would subside. It did, though not fully. "My lower back is killing me. It feels like someone punched me in both of my boobs. My uterus is cramping like crazy. Not to mention I feel like I could go back to sleep for a couple hundred more hours. Honestly, I feel like shit, Idris. I hate this."

       He continued to rub her back. "I'm so sorry, Avathara. I wish I could make it stop. If I could take it all for you if I could."

      She scoffed but patted his thigh, because she knew he meant it. "Yeah, I wish the same." She chuckled to herself. "Nah. I don't think I would like watching you like this."

      "It's terrible," he admits, "but not as terrible as actually experiencing it. I know that."

      "I'm gonna get up now," she warned. He immediately picked her up and gingerly placed her on her feet. Avathara wasn't really enjoying him treating her like a glass doll, but she knew it made him feel better.

      Avathara looked into the bathroom mirror as she leaned against the counter. Her growing belly was finally showing, although it was still relatively small compared to what it would be. Idris leaned down to put his hand on her belly. She smiled at the sweet gesture. He did this constantly too.

      "Good morning, my baby," he spoke, then looking up at her, "good morning, Avathara."

      She shook her head at him. "I don't even get good morning first," she teased him, inching toward the sink so she could rinse out her mouth before brushing her teeth. He placed a hand on her lower back and kissed the top of her head.

      Avathara hummed as she got to work. As she did this, Idris began undressing her. He unbuttoned her soft, cotton top, exposing her swollen breasts. With a tender touch, he massaged them in slow strokes, using his fingers and the flatness of his palms to target her soreness. It felt good, like a relief. Next were her shorts. She didn't bother wearing underwear.

      She looked ahead in the mirror. He was directly behind her. "Can I...?" Avathara nodded to his question. His eyes glowed red in response. His scarred face transformed with love. There was even a little smile on his face. "You look so beautiful. Pregnant with my child."

      Avathara spit out the rest of the toothpaste and rinsed her mouth one more time. She spun around and slid her palms against his side. "You're so sweet to me." Finally, they shared a kiss.

      "Come," he beckoned her, taking her hand and leading her to their bathtub. "I think a warm bath will feel nice."

      She patted her own belly, following close behind. "Mmm. That sounds nice." The water began to rush as he turned the faucet on. The steam came off in light tendrils. She listened to the sound of the running water. They didn't say anything and just sat comfortably in the tranquil silence as they wait for the tub to be replete.