An Entire Cow (24)

Avathara

     Memory...

    "Run, Salvati! Don't stop running!" She tried her best to listen to her mother's words, but her young muscles could only go so far. Considering she had no shoes on, and was dressed in close to nothing during the freezing hours of the morning , it made sense why she was the weakest third of the trio.

     "Pick her up, Marco!" Her mother yelled to her father.

     "Come here, baby!" Her father practically snatched her off the ground. Already frightened, she began to cry at the rough movement. She clung to him, so terrified and afraid of the footfalls and shouts that weren't too far behind the three of them.

     "I'm sorry, baby," he apologized, "but we need to go." At this point, they were running even faster than before. "Remember the bad guys? Remember when we said we might have to run one day?" She didn't respond. "That's why, no matter what, if we get separated , you are going to keep running."

     "Marco, no!" There was an impact and suddenly the child and her father went tumbling. Her head hit the ground hard, but her wavering vision still managed to capture the arrow lodged in her father's back. Salvati twisted around when she heard the agonizing scream of her mother. "Salvati, run, please, run far from here!" There was an arrow lodged in her back as well.

     She was so terrified, nearly paralyzed by it. Although, the desperation and strength of her mother's tone got her up swiftly. Realizing the shouting was becoming close, she tried to be quiet and do just as her parents willed her to.

     She ran.

     Avathara woke up to her own body flinching. She blinked slowly a few times before sighing and turning onto her side. Without much thought, she sensed that she was alone in the room. The daylight was bright, and she realized she may not have gotten as much sleep as she hoped to have.

     You've never given me access.

     Avathara continued to be startled by the child's voice in her head. "Access to what?"

     Your memories before Mike. The years and moments before the constant pain. Salvati is a pretty name.

     She frowned. "My name. I had parents. How could I forget that?" She shut her eyes, and while the memory wasn't pleasant, she begged the picture of their faces to remain in her mind, but they were already dissipating, like bubbles floating in water before rushing to the top and bursting right as they met the surface.

     What happened to them?

      "They were killed." There was a sick feeling in her belly, forcing her to lightly rub a palm against her abdominal area.

     Why?

     "I don't know." Mike and the rest of the pack never explained her origins. They simply stated that she was discovered alone, abandoned, but now it was confirmed that she wasn't abandoned with purpose. They were murdered, her parents, people who clearly never intended to leave her, not without a fight. And fight they did.

     She heard that scream echoing in her brain, and this time she couldn't fight the nausea that plagued her. Avathara sprung out of the bed and into the bathroom. Barely making it in time, she released the content of her stomach into the toilet bowl.

     The bathroom door opened a couple of minutes after she finished her vomit session.

     "Avathara!" His voice of urgency brought back the warmth that was seeping from her body. She felt the heat of his body was he kneeled beside her. "What's happened?"