A Ghost (27)

Aeress

      She paused before pressing the send button, sending yet another email to Shaya, someone who felt more like a distant memory than a best friend. She closed her laptop, feeling defeated but knowing there wasn't much else to do. It wasn't like she could force the woman to respond.

     The bedroom door opened, revealing Warrick. Aeress smiled. "Hey, back so soon?"

      Warrick raised his brows at her. "What, four hours isn't enough?" He was already beginning to strip out of his sweat-soaked clothes. She nibbled at the skin of her bottom lip, trying and failing to conceal her excitement.

      She put her laptop on the bedside table and got up from the bed. "You know," he commented, "you haven't moved from the spot I left you."

      Aeress rolled her eyes. "Listen, I know you love running around like your head is cut off, but this is one of those rare days where I am actually allowed to stay in my bed as long as I want." He put his outfit away as he took off each article of clothing, revealing more of his heavily inked skin.

      "You stay away from me," he warned as he went for his boxers.

      Aeress laughed, stopping a few feet away. "What?" She feigned innocence. "I've done nothing wrong. Come here, can't I at least get a kiss?"

     He sighed, sending her a playful glare. "I haven't showered yet. I don't smell like roses, Aeress." Still, he didn't deny her as she came to embrace him. She did just that, briefly kissing him on the lips.

      "Let me shower, Aeress," he leaned in for another quick kiss. "And no, you can't join."

      Now, she couldn't help her laughter. "I wasn't even going to--" He gave her a stern look. She threw her hands up. "Fine, no showering. Am I going to be on punishment forever?"

      "I'm not the one who broke two headboards," he addressed her as he finally took off his underwear. "I can't keep ordering new ones. Those men know exactly why they've been broken!"

      "Okay, we'll have soft, gentle sex from now on. Scout's honor!" He closed the door in her face. Aeress laughed, going to sit on the edge of the bed.

      After around ten minutes, he emerged from his space of safety. His hair was slicked back off his forehead. He gave her the sternest look, the kind that usually made the people around them piss themselves, but to her, there was nothing sexier. Alright, that sounded more demented than she meant for it to come across.

      Warrick approached with deliberate, clipped steps. He stepped in between her legs and leaned over her. She took in his scent, automatically wrapping her legs around his. Instead of giving more scorn, a soft smile broke across his lips. "I missed you, Aeress."

      She laughed at how quickly his mood changed. She lifted her head to give him another kiss. "I missed you too." They settled into the bed. "How was the meeting?"