The Godfather (6)

Avathara

     "Aeress! Why didn't you answer? I was calling for you."

     "Hush, babe, you'll scare her."

     "She'll wake when she's ready, Aeress." There was a brief kiss. "Watching her constantly won't change that."

     "Says who?"

     "You did. Actually. When she arrived."

     "It's been three weeks, Warrick. I've lost my patience since then."

     "I know that. I've got the bruises to prove it."

     "I thought you like it rough, baby?"

     "Don't look at me like that. You're lucky our daughter's in the room."

     "I'm not leaving."

     "For fuck's sake, Aeress."

     "Warrick. I'm trying here."

     "I know, Aeress. I know how hard this is on you." There was a rustling of clothes. He must have been comforting her in some way.

     "She's beautiful, isn't she?"

     "Just like her mama."

     "We're not genetically connected, you know that."

     "I wasn't talking about her physical appearance. My wife and my daughter both have beautiful souls."

     "Why has commitment made you more agreeable? I don't like it, makes it harder to fight with you."

********************************************************

     "Now she's just being plain old stubborn!"

     "Ring a bell?"

     "Oh, you shut up! This isn't healthy. I can sense it. She's refusing to awaken."

     "What are you going to do?"

     "Time for a little tough love, Warrick."

     Her eyes were pried opened by force. She sat up, gasping and screaming at the same time. She felt arms restraining her, but this only made her fight harder. "Get off of me!" She shouted, fighting more the harder they tried to keep her down.

     "Move away, Aeress! She's terrified!"

     She backed up against the headboard, panicking more than ever before. Finally her eyes focused on the other two people in the room. It was a man and a woman. Both were towering and the most interesting specimen she had ever laid eyes on.

     The man was pale with long, red colored hair. His eyes were bright blue and piercing. He was intimidating without saying a word. The woman was even more uncanny. Avathara must have been mistaken, but her skin had this shimmering blue to it, like she had a thin layer of color pulled against her natural tan. Her eyes were red, and it was like she had a thousand years worth of knowledge.

     Mother.

     "Please," the woman spoke up, "we're not here to hurt you."

     Avathara knew this woman, but from another world. She was sure she had never met her before this moment, yet... there was a familiarity. "Where am I?" She felt like she was back at square one. "Where's Idris?"

     The couple looked at each other. The man spoke up. "After your episode, he thought it would be best that you come home."

     She squinted at the choice of words. "Home? Wait, he left me?" She had no idea why this upset her so much, but it did, deeply so.