The Complete Opposite (16)

Avathara

     As her body rotated over, she assumed she would meet the weight of his body, but was awakened when she met nothing instead but the heat imprinted into the sheets. Avathara opened her eyes, disappointed he was gone. Her eyes sought the bathroom light, but there was nothing but darkness.

     Concerned, she sleepily got out of bed. She grabbed his shirt from the floor and covered her naked body. Just as she opened their bedroom door, she saw a guard off in the distance.

     "Hello?" She said quietly, confident that his sensitive ears would pick up her words.

     His head snapped in her direction and he quickly approached. He bowed his head, making her uncomfortable with the gesture, though she knew it was meant to be respectful. "Yes, Luna, is everything alright?"

     Avathara had the great urge to correct him but bit her tongue. "Did you happen to know where Idris went?"

     The man nodded. "Beta Kallista arrived about fifty minutes ago. I am certain they must be in their office. Would you like me to escort you there, Luna?"

     Avathara shook her head. "No, I can find my way. Thank you."

     She soon ventured back into her room and was unsure of whether she should check in on Idris. There clearly wasn't any trouble, yet she was curious about Beta Kallista. This was someone Idris trusted with his life, his second-in-command. Avathara wanted to make a good first impression.

     "Don't be a coward," she whispered to herself as she pulled a robe on to better cover herself. "Just go say 'hello'."

________________________________________________

     Avathara paused when the tense talking could be heard. It immediately became quiet when she hesitated to knock on the door. She was just getting ready to run for it when she heard, "Avathara?"

     Okay, now she was anxious. Clearing her throat and trying to ignore her enflamed cheeks, she entered his office. She wasn't sure what she was expecting Kallista to look like, but it certainly wasn't this.

     She stood very tall at six feet at the most. Her body was slender but fit, covered in beautiful muscles. Her blonde hair was buzzed to a short crop and her dazzling blue eyes gave the ocean on a summer day a run for its money. She was absolutely stunning, and her confidence was hard to ignore.

     Idris cleared his throat, looking ahead at Avathara. "Is everything okay?"

     Avathara was completely blank in the mind. "Uh... Yeah." She looked between the two, unable to keep Kallista's scrutinizing gaze. "You weren't in bed... so, I got worried." She took a step back. "Clearly, you're busy."

     Kallista looked completely shocked. Now, her attention was solely on Idris.

     Avathara wasn't sure what to feel as Idris clearly understood that small shift in attention. "Kalli, this is Avathara, my mate." He stood up and came by Avathara's side.

     Kallista quickly masked the hurt that was beginning to show on her face. She dipped her chin in acknowledgement. "A pleasure," her voice was deep and soothing, "I apologize for not being here when you arrived. I was away taking care of some things for Idris." Avathara wanted to believe she was being genuine, but jealousy was quickly rising.

     She took his hand in hers. "That's okay, everyone has been very welcoming. I had better get back to bed. I'll leave you two to your business. Goodnight." She let go of his hand and made quick to exit without another word.