The Fun Part (13)

Avathara

     Avathara laid on the floor, all limbs rested and unmoved. She spent hours in this position, just looking up at the ceiling. To her disappointment, the universe did not put the answer to all of her problems there.

     The door quietly opened. She knew who it was before he could announce himself. Besides, no one else would dare enter without knocking.

     She wasn't sure what she expected from him, but she didn't expect him to lay down right beside her on the uncomfortable floor. The heat of his hand just barely grazed her own. Avathara couldn't bring herself to look at him. She simply chose to focus on the ceiling. And after a long time, she was able to settle into the silence that stretched between them.

     Slumber almost overtook her when he said, "Klein told me what happened. Do you want to talk about it?"

     Avathara swallowed. There didn't exist a certain answer. "I guess... it was a bad dream. It lead to... another episode."

     He took her hand. She stiffened, still not used to others willingly making contact without ill intentions. "No one got hurt, Avathara. This is a good thing."

     It was easy for her to ignore his encouragement. "It's never happened while I was asleep. What if you were right next to me?" She sat up and looked down at him. "It's getting worse. Maybe we should have separate rooms."

     He also sat up. "Not an option."

     She shook her hand. "I may not know you that well, and vice versa, but I can tell you that I cannot handle the guilt of killing you."

     "You are not going to kill me." How could he sound so certain? She wished she could have the same confidence.

     She dragged her palms down her face. "I don't want to argue." Next, she got to her feet. Once again, he mirrored her movements. This time, Avathara was forced to look up at him.

     "We don't have to," he responded. "I'm just glad you're okay. I should have been there for you. It was foolish of me to leave so soon--"

     She put her hand up, realizing he couldn't see her and spoke up. "No. I don't want to get in the way of your work. You're the leader. You're doing the right thing." Avathara became wary as he stepped closer and closer to her.

     "Like you said, I could use a distraction, but..." it felt like he was actually looking at her. "You're more to me than that. Listen, will you join me for dinner tonight?"

     She was getting whiplash from how swiftly he switched subjects. He always gave her so much to unpack. "Tonight? Just us?"

     He rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, actually. The house wants to have a welcoming dinner."

     The face of that little girl, Kayla, flashed in her mind. "I don't think it is safe for me to be around too many people... especially children."

     Idris was deep in thought. "I can't come to my welcoming dinner without my mate. They can't wait to meet you." She really did enjoy the pride in his face and tone, but it made her more disappointed in a way.

     "It's not that I don't want to meet them. I just don't want to hurt anyone. They must want to see you, though, and I would hate for you to disappoint them because of me. Please, I really do want you to go." She meant it. While she obviously wanted to join him, she would feel far worse if she caused any one of his people harm.

     He looked deep in contemplation. "You're right. But I refuse to let you eat by yourself." He was still thinking. "What if I sat with them, and then we eat together afterward?"