The True Horror (21)

Avathara

Memory...

     She sat quietly in her bed, listening, waiting for his footsteps. Perhaps they would not come? Of course they would. And they did.

     She didn't have a lock, and there was no point in trying to barricade the door. He was too strong, and she was too weak.

     The door opened, making a whining sound. Surely the whole pack heard that sound? No one stirred, even if they did hear that sound. They didn't care, and perhaps if guilt came upon their hearts, the smallest amount, of course, they could do nothing without flat-out challenging Alpha Mike.

     She looked up. There was nothing to say.

     He closed the door behind him. "You're awake," she hated how gentle his voice was, how deceiving, "good. I don't like when you're asleep."

     When he was finished, she would simply lay there wordlessly, but this time, he questioned her. "Why are you always so quiet?"

     She didn't know what possessed her to answer honestly. "I don't like it."

     "I could be doing worse, you know." He didn't even raise his voice. He didn't have to. She was already shaking, her stomach rolling and twisting with sickness. "I could treat you like a real woman."

     It sounded like he was trying to convince himself. How was she supposed to respond?

     He sighed. "I won't. Not yet. You're not ready. Do you want me to stop coming by, at night?"

     Surely it had to be a trick question. "Yes, please."

     "Fine. But you will remember my act of kindness when I return to you, understood? Mated or not, you are still mine. You always will be."

     She opened her eyes, lips parting for a quiet gasp. There was a slight sweat across her skin, responding to the recalling of those horrific nights. Her heart was racing, pumping the blood to keep up with her mind as it struggled to register that the past was in the past.

     "Bad dream?"

     A feeling of safety fell upon her as she looked over at his towering shadow. He was standing at the window, which was opened to allow in a breeze. Idris was already going to her, but she was more swift.

     Avathara practically rolled out of the bed and stumbled into him. Her cheek lain against his bare skin. His scent brought her a comfort that she hoped to never lose. "I hate it."

     Idris embraced her without question, holding her flush against his warm, fuzzy skin--she was mostly talking about his hairy legs. "You want to talk about it?"

     She swallowed, closing her eyes. "Not really. I just wish I couldn't remember so clearly."

     "Sometimes people cope by blocking it out, others are not able to do that. Either way, I'm sorry I can't take it away."

     She pulled back to briefly look up at him. "Wait a second, why were you awake?"

     "I have bad dreams too, Avathara."

     Something about the way he said it broke her heart. She hated that someone hurt him like she had been hurt. His face said it all. Literally. "Tell me, only if you want."

     She couldn't help but smile as he placed a kiss on top of her head. "I'm not sure my story will help you fall back to sleep."

     Tugging him gently, she directed them so that they were both sitting on the floor, arms around each other. She kept her head leaned against him. "I doubt either of us are going back to sleep soon. Tell me."