A Consequence (26)

Avathara

     "See, dinner with me isn't so bad," Klein commented as they left the dining room.

     She smiled shyly. "I guess not. Thanks for keeping me company."

     "Anytime," he responded, and then looked hesitant. "Hey, so, I should get heading back to Kallista. She's probably waiting for me."

     Avathara nodded along. "Of course, I understand... How is she doing?"

     "Much better." She didn't expect him to answer to such ease. "We've been talking a lot. She started therapy about a week ago. It's good that she has her own space but is still able to interact with everyone. She still feels terrible about everything, especially when it comes to you. She feels like she's ruined everything."

     "Well, I'm glad you're there to correct her. This whole situation, it's just messy, but there is no one person at fault... You're a wonderful brother, you know that? I'd kill for a family close to anything like that."

     He gave her a bright smile, a gift she would cherish. "Thank you, Avathara. I'll see you soon?"

     She nodded, and as soon as he left, she felt another presence near. Idris came walking around the corner. She was frightened, because she couldn't read him. Too many things came by in flashes across his face. Too fast to register.

     "I waited for you," he spoke quietly, "you didn't tell me you were having dinner with Klein."

     She didn't know why she felt so guilty. "I'm sorry. I hope you weren't waiting long."

     He seemed like he wanted to say something more, but it was as though an invisible force prevented him from doing so. Instead, he asked, "is everything okay, Avathara?"

     Now it was her who felt her tongue being held hostage. "I..."

     "How did the visit with Victor go?"

     "Fine. Everything's fine," she hurriedly answered, approaching him and grabbing his hand. She walked with quickness, leading them toward their bedroom.

     Avathara could sense that her hand was dragging more than it was leading him. He said nothing, and thankfully did not object or even breathe loudly until they finally got into their own personal space. "Avathara," he urged, standing in one spot, close to the door. "You cannot hide whatever is wrong from me." He couldn't even conceal the stress on his features. "Please, you can tell me."

     Her heart was pounding. Avathara was going to be sick. She wanted to run. She wanted to jump straight into his arms. What could she do? She couldn't lie, it would only make things worse. "I'm not ready to tell you," she gasped, unintentionally placing her hand on her belly. For obvious reasons, he did not notice this. She quickly put her hand back to her side.

     "Tell me what?" Finally, he walked toward her. "You're scaring me."

     She crumpled under the pressure of her secret, the revelation which weighed so heavily down upon her body and soul. Idris caught her, mostly taking a hold of her and pulling her into his arms. She cried harshly, so unbelievably overwhelmed. "Hey!" He was panicked. "What's going on?"

     "Just hold me and tell me everything is going to be okay," she begged him. "Just tell me that you're not going to leave me."

      "Avathara, everything is going to be okay. I love you and I am not going to leave you. Ever."

     "Oh, Idris," she sighed into his chest. "What a mess. I didn't mean to fuck things up so much. I just want to make you happy, and I've made things worse."