Chapter 30

The new group of friends were very concerned the next morning. They knew that they had to wait until the Headmistress told them what was going on before they could do anything, but after seeing the state of their friend as he walked into the Great Hall for breakfast, they were anxious and very against the idea of not interfering.

A hollow and broken looking Harry had walked into the room after Ginny. His eyes drooped, purple bruising beneath them and sunken in cheeks defining their harrowing emptiness.

The boy was a robot, walking methodically after the ginger, he couldn't even give the illusion of normalcy, his conscious mind having receded so far back into his head after the second dosage of potion in trying to preserve itself, that he was looking akin to a puppet as he followed the girl.

Only this morning, his behaviour seemed to attract the attention of more than just the usual group. Other students, even those from other houses were casting glances towards the boy, taken aback by his behaviour. Some were concerned and a few seemed like they were tempted to sit themselves down beside him in order to understand what was going on.

Hermione and Ron were joined by Neville not long after Harry had arrived, Dean and Seamus sidling up close after he took his seat.

"All right guys? What's up with Harry, he's not acting like himself, do you know what's gotten into him?" Neville questioned them, watching suspiciously as they all seemed to share a deliberating look. Neville sighed exasperated by, fed up with being left out of things. "Come on guys, you know you can trust me, surely I've proved that by now." The boy pleaded with them.

Hermione seemed to soften instantly and nodded her head at him, beckoning him to come closer. The blond boy eagerly leant in, green eyes wide in expectation and slight apprehension.

At the nods in agreement and permission from the other boys, Hermione dove into the explanation, sparing no detail. They all agreed that Neville had more than earned the right to be in the know in this situation. He was as much Harry's friend as the rest of them.

After hearing the tale Neville's eyes were wide as saucers, in a state of shock at the revelation. It took almost all of his willpower not to turn around and gape at Harry and Ginny, not to watch their every move in the hope of gathering a better understanding of what in Merlin's name was really happening.

He started to question the four as soon as he regained his composure. At the arrival of the Slytherin trio to the table, Neville, to his credit, barely batted an eye, having seen the large group sitting together recently and being somewhat accustomed to their presence thanks to the parties they had been holding.

The situation actually served as the reasoning behind the temporary halt in parties. There hadn't been one since they returned from the Christmas holidays, and he now understood that it was because they had much bigger fish to fry than organising a party.

The Slytherins, having made their way over after catching a glimpse of Harry's glassy, unseeing eyes, immediately dove into a conversation with Dean and Seamus, determined to talk about something else, hoping to get their minds off of the situation at hand. As much as they hated not doing anything, they knew they had to listen to their professor and stay out of it until they could talk to her again that evening.

While they spoke, Neville was invited to join them in their visit to headmistress McGonagall's office that day, knowing the boy was deserving of that kind of involvement in this. After all, his only goal was to make sure Harry was okay.

Up at the head table, Minerva McGonagall was sat in her chair, flanked by Pomona Sprout and Filius Flitwick. She was watching the scene before her at the Gryffindor table. She was surprised she hadn't noticed before, the presence of three Slytherin students in amongst her lions, however, she mused, it was likely because they seemed to fit in so well, that there was no reason for her to spot them.

She was sure she could never mention that to them, lest she traumatise them and have them never go anywhere near the Gryffindors ever again.

She began watching after seeing Harry Potter enter the hall, looking for all purposes, not in control. She had immediately voiced her thoughts two her two friends, hoping that it was just her imagination from what the students had told her the night before and that the boy taking a seat at the table was completely himself.

However her hopes were dashed at the horrified reactions of her co-workers, who both seemed appalled at the thought, yet begrudgingly admitted that, yes, it did appear that Harry was most definitely not in control.

Immediately they started to question her. "Minerva! What's happened? Why is he acting like that, is he alright? Is something being done? Can I help? Is he going to be alright?" Minerva lifted her hand to halt the herbology teacher's frantic questionings, assuring her that yes, something was being done, and no, she currently didn't need her help.. Unfortunately, finding the answer to the latter question was far more difficult.

In truth, Minerva had no idea if Harry was going to be all right. That kind of mind manipulation, and with the length of time Harry could have been under it, if the group of friend were to be correct, would be damaging to a person of sound mind. Harry was already struggling, anyone could see. Minerva just hoped that what she was doing could be enough.

However, the plan for her to await Molly's Weasley's reply and then as subtly as possible remove Ginny from the premises was only taking because she had no real reasoning behind it, only the word of a few of her students. Now she was sure, as the muggles would say, beyond reasonable doubt, that Harry was not in sound mind, and so she could forcibly remove Ginevra if the need arose, in order to ensure the safety of Harry.

Suddenly determined, Minerva rose from her seat and quietly requested that Pomona follow her. Immediately the stout woman stood up and walked by her side towards the Gryffindor table.

The students watched with wide-eyed apprehension as she approached the youngest Weasley and quietly requested her presence in her office. The girl nodded nervously, shooting her brother and his friends a pre-emptive scathing look, sure they were behind this, before she hauled Harry up with her.

Minerva would have protested to Harry being brought along, however, if she was being honest with herself, she was not looking to have the boy be left on his own, so she said nothing.

The quartet left the hall, headed for Minerva's office, leaving hundreds of gobsmacked and gossiping students in their wake.

This was going to be interesting.

----------------------

Guys I have over a hundred followers. What the heck. Why do you like me? This is crazy! Thank you so much!

Hope you enjoyed the chapter,

Lila out 💜