Chapter 5

Chapter 5

After the class was over, Hermione and Ron went ahead. She was trying to convince Ron to take up Arithmancy and Harry didn't want to be dragged into THAT conversation.

However, he regretted not staying with them when he felt himself being dragged into a storeroom near the classroom.

Harry whipped out his wand, preparing to hex his captor into next week when he was overcome with a familiar smell.

Confused, he waited for his eyes to adjust to the lighting. He soon realized he had his wand pointed at Malfoy's throat and he stepped back, not lowering his wand.

Malfoy put his hand up in surrender and explained that he "just wants to talk"

Harry reluctantly lowered his wand but never loosened his grip. He sneered at Malfoy and gestured for him to start explaining.

And explain he did.

Draco told him everything. (well... almost everything) He told him that he regretted everything he had done in previous years and that he was just following his father's orders and that he never really hated Harry and he was secretly crushed when his friendship was refused that fateful day in the first year.

Harry took all of this in and seemed to ponder this newfound information.

He told Draco that he'd have to consider what he had been told.

Draco assured him that he could have all the time he needed. He explained that all he wanted was for them to be friends.

Harry nodded slowly and finally began to register their close proximity and his cheeks started to burn as he tried and failed to fight a blush.

Draco didn't miss this new tint to Harry's cheeks and his refusal to make eye contact with him. He internally smirked and bid Harry goodbye.

After Draco walked off Harry tried to identify the tingly feeling he got when he felt Draco's breath against his cheek and when his hand grazed his arm.

He shook his head and attempted to shake the feeling. Telling himself it was nothing, he followed Draco out of the door and headed towards charms. He realized he had absolutely no excuse for his tardiness and inwardly cursed.

He braced himself and walked through the door. Thankfully other than a stern glare from Hermione and a friendly smile from Professor Flitwick, Harry's entrance was ignored.

Or so he thought. Harry remained unaware of a certain blond watched him enter and didn't take his eyes off of him throughout the lesson.

Once class finished, Harry left quickly. Having spent the entire class unfocused, thinking only about Draco's words, he needed some fresh air to clear his head.

Hermione and Ron watched on worriedly as Harry walked quickly out of the class towards the main door.

Hermione and Ron start walking on when they are stopped by a rather unwelcome Slytherin. Pansy Parkinson was blocking their way. Ron glared daggers at here whilst Hermione merely seemed intrigued. she couldn't fathom why the girl had stopped them and allowed her curiosity best her.

Ron went to snap at her to move when Hermione placed a gentle hand on his arm, silently willing him to stand down. He turned to her in confusion. "Yes?" Hermione addressed Pansy. "I need to speak with you Granger" Hermione gestured for her to go on, however, Pansy turned her gaze towards Ron before saying "Alone".

Ron seemed stunned and went to retort when Hermione turned to him with a pleading look. "I'll be ok, you go on," she told him gently. He scoffed and glared scathingly at the two before reluctantly walking off, muttering to himself.

"What is it Parkinson," Hermione asked after Ron had moved on. "It's about Draco and Harry". This got Hermione's attention instantly and she pulled Pansy towards herself before dragging her into the nearest empty classroom. "Spill," she told her.

Pansy firstly told her that Draco had no idea she was there. She then began to tell Hermione everything. She explained about the things Draco had noticed recently. Pansy assumed Ron and herself already knew about Harry being smaller but she told her about Draco noticing he doesn't eat and how light he was when he was carrying him. She also said she recognised this behaviour from when Draco was in 6th year.

Hermione was tearing up by now and barely stifled a sob when Pansy mentions Draco's past experience. "I just thought you should know, I would've wanted to if it was Draco." Hermione nodded slowly and wiped her tears, calming herself.

She thanked Pansy for telling her and sat quietly for a moment. She then looked up and gave Pansy a small smile. "I really appreciate you telling me, do you think we could put the past behind us? We've both changed and matured and I think we could be good friends." Pansy thought for a minute, then finally responded, "I'd like that" she said quietly.

****

Harry had disappeared all day, skipping the rest of his classes and dinner, making his friends worried. He had taken the day to be by himself and it started off well before the dark thought consumed him and he returned to the abandoned bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom and returning his glamors, Harry had decided that he should give Draco a chance, the war changed everyone, so maybe he changed too. Plus Harry needed to know what this strange feeling was.

Harry was walking along the corridor when he heard familiar voices approaching. He ducked back into the bathroom to avoid being caught, as he didn't want to have to explain his absence to his friends. He also didn't have the energy to interrogate them as to why they were accompanied by others, Slytherins from what Harry could tell.

Harry was peeking through the crack in the door as they walked past, spotting a familiar blonde head. The others walked on but this particular boy recognised the bathroom and slipped inside unnoticed.

Harry took a step back from the door and tried to hide but Draco only let out an exasperated sigh and told him to quit hiding. After doing so Harry eyed Draco suspiciously. "How did you know I was in here," Harry asked.

"I'm the one who found you here the first time dumbass." Harry huffed and looked away. Draco cautiously approached. "Where have you been all day?" He asked. Harry just scoffed, not believing the blond cared. Draco explained that the reason the group were all walking around together was that they were looking for him. "Oh" is all Harry can say.

After a moment of silence, Harry glances up to see mercury eyes watching him. He decides to break the silence. "I've been thinking about it," he starts "and I'm willing to give this friendship thing a try; people change" he shrugged. Draco grins, genuinely, before outstretching his hand for Harry to take. Harry looked at it and lets out a quiet chuckle, thinking back to all those years ago. He takes Draco's hand in his and gives a timid smile.

"Let's go, Granger is freaking out" Harry gives Draco a look, expressing his reluctance. "I'll tell them not to harass you, I swear," Draco says. Harry smiles shyly, "I'll hold you to that"

They leave the bathroom and head towards the library, where Hermione said they were headed next. They find the group just leaving and when spotted, Hermione sprints over to them and grabs Harry, pulling him into a hug. "Oh, Harry we were so worried! Where were you" Ron gave Harry a look that showed only Hermione was all that bothered and it made him smile. Draco grabbed Hermione and pulled her to the side, telling her not to badger Harry about his day, saying he needs space. She looked sceptical but nodded nonetheless.

Harry shot Draco a grateful look before being dragged back to his common room.

Pansy joined Draco's side after the left and nudged him not so subtly. He looked down at her to see her usual mischievous smirk back on her face before rolling his eyes and telling her to "shove off". Draco turned the opposite way Harry and his friends went and headed back to his common room.

Hey guys, I know it's been ages since I've updated and I'm really sorry I just had exams and haven't had the best month so hopefully I'll be back posting more often now that I'm on break.
I hope you liked this chapter!

1394 words

Lila out 💜