30

Naomi's POV

I arrived home, my heart pounding as I faced the inevitable conversation with my parents. How do I even explain where I was last night? Lying to them wasn't something I wanted to do, but I couldn't reveal the truth either. Besides, my grades had slipped a bit, and that was another concern.

My mom's worried face greeted me, and I tried my best to conjure up a convincing explanation. "I'm sorry, Mom. Kaden took me to his place, and I-I just forgot to mention it. I'm so sorry," I stammered, hoping to gain some sympathy.

"Were you okay?" my dad chimed in with concern in his voice.

"Yeah," I replied, offering a smile to put their worries at bay, knowing they wouldn't press me further about my whereabouts last night.

"I trust Kaden, you know that, right?" my dad reassured, and I nodded in agreement. The truth was, I did trust him with all my heart.

"Dad, I really need to go meet Kaden," I added, attempting to shift the focus away from the questioning.

Both my parents looked at me, and my dad inquired, "Umm, where are you two going?"

"Ava and I aren't friends, but she invited me over, and I wanted Kaden to be there to make sure I'm comfortable," I lied, fabricating a story to divert their attention.

"Okay, you can go, but make sure you're home by 11 pm, okay?" my mom said, smiling with a hint of relief.

"Yeah, I will," I assured them, relieved that they didn't pry further. As I walked outside, I spotted Kaden in his car, looking effortlessly handsome.

I climbed into the car and closed the door. He smirked, asking, "What was your excuse this time?" He had a finished cigarette in his mouth, and I couldn't help but dislike his smoking habits. I didn't mind it occasionally, but he seemed to be indulging more than usual.

"I said Ava wanted to see us, and I have to be home by 11 pm," I said with a smile, trying to push away any tension from our earlier conversation.

"Too bad we don't want to see her, and that sucks; I wanted to sleep with you tonight," he pouted playfully, his words causing my cheeks to flush. Despite my reservations about his smoking, being with Kaden always made me feel alive and captivated.

I sensed his sarcasm, knowing well that he didn't mind my absence at times. Kaden enjoyed his own space, and sometimes, I thought he relished the moments without me around.

"Me too, but I feel so bad for her, and I want to be her friend again," I whispered, voicing my inner conflict to Kaden.

"You want to be her friend?" he raised an eyebrow, looking at me with curiosity.

"I know, it's bad, but she's been my friend since second grade," I explained, trying to justify my desire to reconnect with Ava. She had been my best friend for as long as I could remember, and our bond ran deep, despite our recent disagreements.

His playful retort came as no surprise. "I've been your friend since before first grade," he smirked, reminding me of our shared history.

"Yeah, but you're my boyfriend now," I countered with a smile, appreciating the unique connection we now had.

"I know," he whispered, leaning in to kiss me tenderly, causing my heart to flutter. His actions always had a way of making me smile.

We arrived at Jamie's house party, and the atmosphere was vibrant, with people dancing and reveling in their intoxicated state. Feeling Kaden's arm tightly wrapped around my waist brought a sense of comfort amidst the chaotic ambiance.