Chapter 23

Brunch...what did one wear to a Saturday brunch that was a date instead of a get-together with friends? And without knowing where one was eating? Jo's stomach fluttered strangely again as she thought about the particular man this date was with. Was it crazy to have two dates in a row? Or was it that big of a deal when they'd been seeing each other at school every day anyway?

Why did she feel like an inexperienced teenager going on her first date? It's not like this was her first rodeo.

There was just something about Ryker--she'd never met a guy before that tied her up in knots like this, yet made her feel so comfortable at the same time. Or that had her dying laughing one second before she was melting under his intense forest-shaded gaze the next.

Jo was in so much trouble.

She sucked in a breath, then decided to focus on her outfit, rather than worrying about her future for the time being. She would worry about the whole fire-control issue later. It's not like there was any guarantee that this thing between her and Ryker could go anywhere.

Yeah. That.

Nope, worrying later. Outfit now.

Okay, Jo knew what she would wear. Mom-approved brunch sundress, but with a Jo-style flair of her flannel-lined, menswear leather jacket (her mom hated it). Yep, this would do. Hey, her excuse was that the early morning air in the mountains could be downright chilly, even if it was only the end of August.

She'd just finished clipping a few tendrils of her loose hair to the side when she heard the knock at the door. A minute later she opened it to reveal Ryker leaning against the porch post, looking like an ad for rugged jeans and flannel shirts against the backdrop of the forest. He turned to look at her and she noticed his golden-brown hair looked slightly wavy today, probably from the humidity that came with the morning fog. Jo stood there for a moment, taking in the sight.

"Um, morning," she said finally, her words coming out slightly breathy. A wide grin took over Ryker's face.

"Lock seems to be working."

Jo nodded silently and stepped out, turning to lock up behind her. When she turned back around, her eyes widened as she found him much, much closer, than he had been.

"You look good," he murmured, his eyes dropping for a moment before meeting her gaze again. Had he been looking at her lips? Jo found herself hoping so.

After a beat, Jo managed to find her wits again and she smirked up at him. "Good? Wow, thanks," she said, patting his chest and moving to walk past him.

Ryker had other ideas though, as he caught her hand and pulled her back to him. "Okay then, how about gorgeous?"

She stopped and looked up at him, a grin dancing in her eyes. "Gorgeous?"

"Is that not right either?" he asked, teasing. He reached out and swept his hand over her hair, pushing a lock of it back behind her ear, away from her face. His knuckles brushed against her jaw, gentle. "I can try something else."

"I think gorgeous works," she breathed.

They were so close right now, and Jo almost tilted forward, almost went on her toes to kiss him. But with a mischievous look in his eyes, Ryker pulled back. Was he making her wait? How purposefully aggravating could one man be?

"C'mon, or it'll become lunch instead of brunch," he said, leading her down the steps.

She slipped her keys in her pocketbook, her other hand still in his. "I feel like you'd like lunch better."

"I'm willing to try brunch. If it's good."

Jo smirked. "There'll be mimosas, right?"

Ryker tossed a frown at her over his shoulder. "I don't know...? Plus we're both under age."