Chapter 38

"I didn't even really want a party, so I definitely don't want this massive pack extravaganza y'all are planning."

"Party, extravaganza. Same difference."

Ryker glanced over the top of his laptop at Lexi and Brett, who were going over party details with their father. They were all on the massive porch that spread out behind their house, hanging slightly over the edge of the hill. It gave an impressive, expansive mountainside view. Heat from the roaring outdoor fireplace kept them warm even as the sun set.

Malcolm Monroe frowned over Brett's shoulder at the legal pad his oldest son had in front of him. "It's a lot of people, Brett."

"It's an important party." His grin was bright and shameless. "My little bitty baby sister only gets to turn eighteen once, after all."

"Aw, shut up..." Lexi raked her fingers through her hair. "But that doesn't mean we have to invite people from the Buchanan pack. Small parties are cool, too."

"So's diplomacy," Malcolm grumbled.

"I wouldn't say diplomacy is cool," Ryker said, pretending to focus on his homework again. "It's just necessary. Especially right now, Lex."

They all knew that if Duncan's pack tried something right now, it would be best to have the Buchanan pack solidly on their side. They were on the other end of the Monroe pack's territory, far away from Duncan's crew, which already meant they were more amiable to the Monroe pack over Duncan's.

Their pack was led by an alpha female, Naomi, and she and Malcolm had been friends since they were kids. Still, inviting Naomi and her family and a few higher-up pack members to Lexi's party would remind them of the bond the families shared. And yeah, it did mean that Lexi's party was ever-increasing in numbers, whether she liked it or not.

"Isn't Cordy one of your friends, anyways?" Brett asked, tapping his pen on the edge of the paper. "So she'd be coming no matter what."

"That's one person out of, what, the fifteen you wrote down?" Lexi frowned. "Where's Aaliyah, she'd take my side."

"She and her dad went hiking with the kids," Brett said, "But yeah, she would. Then she would also tell you that you should do what's best for the pack."

Ryker typed a sentence of his paper, trying to stay out of this whole argument. Jo would've taken Lexi's side, too, but he didn't mention that. He didn't want to give Lexi any more ammunition.

"Ryker."

Nope, naw, he was focused. On homework. Ryker pretended he hadn't heard Lexi.

"It's still my party, right?" Lexi asked, guessing that he was actually listening.

"Mmm." Yeah, still her party.

"And I only turn 18 once."

"Mhmmm." Why. Why was he getting dragged into this?

"And Jo would feel more comfortable at a small party, right?" Lexi was too smart for her own good.

"Mmmm," Ryker threw his brother a desperate look, but Brett was too busy glaring at Lexi.

"Low, Lexi, low," Brett muttered.

But they'd also made the mistake of forgetting about their father's presence--and even though he was distracted for a moment by his smartphone, there was a reason he was still Alpha. He picked up on everything.

"Who's Jo?" Malcolm looked up, frowning at Ryker.

"Friend of Ryker's," Lexi said quickly, trying to diffuse the situation. Even though she wanted her way with her party, Ryker guessed he should be glad that she was friends with Jo. She knew as much as he did the pressure Jo would face once their dad found out about her.