Chapter 69

"And I don't appreciate you threatening him!"

"Lexi–"

"If he's going to be your son-in-law, you shouldn't be so rude to him."

"I'm going to remind you about this one time that he attacked us."

"That was Jake!"

Brett's voice jumped into the argument. "Let's cut down on the yelling, huh? It's giving me a headache..."

Ryker shoved his hands into his pockets as he followed Jo down the stairs to where his family was busy still arguing. Even though decisions had been made, Lexi had to have her final say. She was standing on the hearth, arms crossed over her chest, Duncan standing nearby with an embarrassed look on his face. The fact that they weren't heading out the door, Duncan's tail between his legs, made it clear that Duncan was going to bend to what Malcolm demanded.

No wonder he looked like he wanted the floor to open up and eat him.

"Did they actually come to an agreement, or are they still fighting?" Jo asked him quietly, though she knew that they would all be able to hear her. Werewolf hearing.

"I'm simply telling Dad that he needs to not treat Hayes like his own pack member," Lexi said, crossing her arms over her chest. "Even though what Hayes did was really stupid."

"When he earns respect, he can have it," Malcolm said.

"All right, all Alpha posturing aside, what exactly are we going to do with all the Jake wolves and the Duncan wolves, and what do we tell the Callahans?" Brett said.

"The Callahans will need to make their own decision about how they'll treat the Duncans," Aaliyah reminded him. She was still emitting a frosty feeling, her eyes either piercing Duncan or ignoring him completely. Ryker didn't blame her. He still felt like throwing Duncan out the door himself. But Lexi would pitch a fit, and he didn't want to completely destroy his sister's eighteenth birthday. It was already bad enough, her having to be Duncan's mate.

Duncan spoke up, a hand on Lexi's shoulder as if to reassure her that he had it. "Both the Duncan wolves and Jake wolves are my problem, although I respect your opinions and thoughts considering that it was your pack we wronged." Ryker didn't like the guy much, but he was glad to see him speaking up for himself–if he wanted to remain an Alpha and keep any respect, he was going to have to grow a backbone.

Duncan straightened up almost as if he'd heard Ryker, but his focus was on Malcolm. "Lexi and I talked about this in the kitchen. Jake will be kicked out of our territory and not allowed to rejoin for trying to take over the pack. Those who followed will be conditionally kicked out–they may apply for readmission to the pack, but will have to undergo questioning, trials, and will re-enter at a lower status if they had any formerly. They will also perform extra community service to the pack." Duncan glanced down at Lexi, then back at Malcolm, who had the ultimate poker face going right now. "As for my pack, we will enter into an alliance with yours, if you wish. As part of the alliance and in reparation for the attack, I will send some of my best wolves to train with yours, and serve in your community for several hours each week for the next year. Including me, as you requested." He hesitated, and Lexi reached up to squeeze the hand that was on her shoulder. "If any of my wolves who hadn't allied with Jake request to leave my pack, I will allow them to do so after a month has passed."

Ryker glanced at Malcolm, as did most of the other people in the room, but Malcolm was impossible to read right now. Malcolm stared at Duncan for a long moment, then arched an eyebrow. "And marking my daughter?"

"Is my choice," Lex growled softly.

Duncan tugged her to his side while Malcolm sent her a dry look. "While you're a member of my pack, I also have a say in it."