Chapter 72

"I don't recognize it."

"It's EDM."

"...speak real words."

Jo rolled her eyes and launched a piece of popcorn at Ryker's head. It should've hit him in the cheek, but he twisted his head and caught it in his mouth. The two of them were in Jo's house, sprawled out on her bed while they focused on classwork for once. Her laptop was set up on the desk, an unfinished paper calling her name.

When she had first arrived in town, Jo had been entirely intent on spending almost all her time on her college courses and avoiding any relationships deeper than classmates/acquaintances. And now she was practically engaged to Ryker and swiftly becoming a part of his family and a fixture in town. She was even starting to memorize the names of some of the coffee shop regulars.

Ryker grabbed a handful of popcorn and popped it into his mouth. "Let's listen to something else."

"We're studying, remember?"

His gaze was unamused. "But I'm bored." Popping a hand down on her thigh to hold her in place, he leaned over her and reached for her phone.

Jo wriggled, trying to escape. To keep the phone away from him, she snatched it up and held it out as far as she could, past the edge of the bed. "I'm trying to help you and this is the thanks I get?"

"We're in the same class, this helps you too." His fingers brushed her wrist, and she had to shift away to keep the phone out of his grasp.

"Yeah, but I actually paid attention instead of sleeping in class, unlike someone."

"I'm a very busy person," Ryker rumbled. "I have to sleep sometimes."

"You're less busy now." It had been almost a week since the birthday party at the Monroe's house. Jake and his wolves were officially gone, and Duncan had started showing up for Alpha lessons, which was a weird and not exactly fun situation for everyone, but it kept Malcolm happy. Plus Lexi and Duncan could hang out without everyone texting her every five minutes to check in.

"Says you." His arm slid underneath her, and before she could react, he hauled her back and rolled her over him and dropped her onto the bed again. With a quick snatch, he grabbed her phone, his other hand pressed into the mattress, right beside her head.

"Ryker!"

Electronic dance music switched instantly to some old 80s song, rough with lots of electric guitar. "That's better."

"Not for studying for a quiz."

Ryker made a face. "That's overrated."

"When I transfer to a 4-year university I guess I'm leaving your ass behind."

As predicted, Ryker's expression immediately turned an adorable mixture of pouty and grumbly. "You can't leave me." At her murderous expression he quickly amended. "You don't want to leave me."

"I can, and I'll have to for at least a couple of years if you don't get accepted anywhere because you tanked your GPA." She wasn't going to mention the UNC online program that allowed you to finish some of your bachelor degrees online through the local universities. The boy needed motivation.

Yes, boy. He was behaving like a boy right now, not a man.

Ryker sighed, bringing his forehead down to rest against her neck. The mood suddenly shifted as she felt first his warm breath across her neck, followed by several tantalizing kisses that caused Jo to echo Ryker's sigh, shifting restlessly.

"Right here," he mumbled. "One day that's where your mark will be."

"Ryker." Jo curled her fingers into his hair, tugging gently to get him to look up at her. With a reluctant last kiss he did, eyes still dark with desire. "One day doesn't have to be that far away," she said, finally releasing the words she'd been mulling over how to say the last couple of days. "When you're ready, I am."