Chapter 35

"Okay, so, what're we watching? Romcom, horror, sad sappy slow stuff?" Darcy asked, flipping through streaming options on the TV.

They were all scattered about Jo's living room, spread out on sleeping bags, cushions, pillow, and all the blankets in the house. Most of the pizza boxes were in the kitchen, but one had migrated to the living room, where it was sitting on the coffee table beside multiple red plastic cups and a couple wine glasses filled with virgin daiquiris.

"Anything but the last one," Jo said, settling further into the corner of the couch. It still smelled faintly of Ryker, just like the blanket she had wrapped around her. Pine trees and wildness and the outdoors.

"Let's watch a horror movie," Lexi said. She was on the floor, flopped backwards on a pile of pillows next to Katie.

"Maybe just a comedy," Katie suggested, "Something light-hearted and funny." Gia, curled up in the armchair, nodded in agreement.

"Pick soooomething," Darcy said, flipping through the options faster. "Or I'll pick the next thing I land on."

"Zombies," Lexi suggested.

"I really don't want to watch a scary movie, I'll never sleep," Katie said, grabbing a pillow and pulling it over her face.

They ended up settling on a zombie comedy with a group of college kids trying to stop a zombie apocalypse.

"I can't believe my brother let you out of his sight," Lexi said, smirking over at Jo during a food break. Even though it was a comedy, Katie had still jumped several times with nerves, and was currently warming up a slice of pizza to cope with her need to stress-eat, apparently. She'd also dragged Darcy with her, not wanting to be left alone in the kitchen. Gia had used the time for a bathroom break.

"Probably only because you're here," Jo said with amusement, pulling the blanket close to her nose for a moment before she realized what she was doing. Did the man have to have such an addicting smell?

"Probably," Lexi laughed, hazel eyes dancing in amusement.

"Still, part of me expects that he's just out of sight in the woods. I wouldn't put it past him."

Lexi cocked her head, listening, absently tucking a strand of curly red hair out of the way. "No, I don't think so. Maybe because he knew I would tell you if he was."

Jo nodded, chuckling in agreement, but there was a stir of unease in her stomach. She certainly didn't expect Ryker to constantly guard her, nor did she feel like she needed him to. But...he wanted to, and what worried her more was him. Was something going on with him that prevented him from being there?

"He's fine," Lexi said quietly, laying a gentle hand on her arm. She tapped her forehead with one finger, lips quirking up in a half-smirk. "Instant telepathic communication, remember?"

Oh, yeah. That. Jo was kind of jealous of that particular werewolf trait. "That must be so darn useful," she groaned. She would never have to worry, Ryker would never have to worry...

Lexi shrugged, gathering together some of the empty plates. "There's limits to it. Distance and stuff, you know." She rolled her eyes. "And it's really annoying when you wish you could pretend you can't hear your dad or older brothers."

Jo wrinkled her nose. "Oh, yeah, that'd be pretty terrible."

"I mean, it's not like we can hear each other all the time," Lexi said hurriedly, "That would be so so awkward."

Jo grinned. "Agreed." Since she was dating Lexi's brother, there were definitely certain things she didn't want Lexi overhearing. Not to mention the sheer embarrassment on her friend's behalf. "So it's something you can turn on and off?"