Chapter 29

A few days passed, and still the whole thing seemed impossible. Ryker could hardly wrap his head around the fact that Jo had been so willing to accept him, let alone deal with the fact that she had fire powers. He needed to help her figure out what that was about, but deciding where to start was hard. Plus she had made it clear that he had to also focus on his classes. Something about not failing...which seemed silly when he had found his mate and learned that she needed his help.

Ryker frowned down at the book he was supposed to be reading, ignoring Brett and Lexi, who were having an argument over by the empty fireplace. Or, honestly, Lexi was arguing while Brett grinned and countered in that annoying non-confrontational way he had. It was hard to focus when you had enhanced senses and your siblings were arguing while your nephews play-fought and your sister-in-law and dad made dinner, the radio blasting in the kitchen.

He flicked his gaze over at Brett and Lexi. "Can you go yell about whatever it is outside..." Maybe they could take Connor and Talon with them. The five-year-old and three-year-old could use some outdoor time, based on how they were using the couches and armchair as a jungle gym.

"Just tell him I don't need a birthday party," Lexi said, her hands on her hips, bright eyes glowering at Brett.

"Yes, you do," Brett said, "You'll be eighteen. It's tradition."

"It's just a birthday," she retorted.

"It's the day you become a full adult," Brett replied, "That isn't just any birthday."

"Ryyyyker..."

Brett smiled and also put his hands on his hips. "Ryyyyker." He ducked to the side as Lexi went to shove him.

Ryker sighed and shut the book, giving up. If Jo fussed at him he was going to wholly blame his siblings. "A big birthday bash is one of the best chances you have at meeting your mate, you know that," Ryker said, rubbing his forehead.

Lexi snorted. "Neither of you met yours at your 18th birthdays, so I'm not too worried about that."

"Okay, fine, you tell Dad you don't want a party after she's spent months planning it," Ryker said, smirking at Lexi. Lexi glared at him, both of them knowing she wasn't going to have the courage to do that.

"Fine, I won't complain anymore if you invite Jo," Lexi said, eyes twinkling with triumph. As far as his siblings knew, he hadn't told Jo about them being werewolves yet--mostly because if he had to explain why she'd accepted him so readily, that might lead to other questions, and he had a feeling Jo didn't want to share her powers with everyone just yet.

But Lexi knew that if he brought a girl to a birthday that would be heavily attended by werewolves, his dad would immediately want to know why. He knew Ryker hadn't wanted to seriously date until he found his mate, because of what had happened with him and Brett's mom.

And while he could handle the pressure, he was mostly afraid that someone would spill about 'mates' to Jo.

Yeah, he hadn't gotten around to telling her about the whole 'you're it for me' part of their relationship yet.

There was a very good chance that, only a few weeks into their relationship, she might freak out on him.

But when would the time be right? He had no idea.

"You're welcome to invite Jo," Ryker said, smirking as he found a way to sidestep Lexi's manipulation. "In fact, she'd probably be hurt if you didn't, seeing as you two hang out all the time." Sometimes it was annoying he had to share Jo with his little sister, but right now it was highly useful. If she came as Lexi's friend, maybe she'd escape his parents' notice.