Chapter 49

"Only one?" Jo asked, backing up against the truck and moving Lexi with her.

The redhead sniffed the air and nodded once. "Just one, in wolf form. Not Duncan. Or Jake. I'm not sure who it is, but they're over by the lake."

Jo looked in that direction, but it was hard to make out anything clear in the darkness and shadows. A figure moved along the edge of the shore, lupine and low to the ground. Lexi's eyesight was much better than hers at night, so it made sense she could see whoever it was better than she could.

Beside her, Lexi growled. "I can chase him off."

"Not yet," Jo said, putting her hand on Lexi's wrist. Putting Lexi in danger was the last thing she wanted to do right now. "He hasn't come this way yet."

By the lake, the shadow turned and started walking around the bonfire.

Its nose made its way to the ground as it started weaving toward them. "You were saying?" Lexi asked, a low growl rumbling through her voice.

"That maybe there's a peaceful solution." At Lexi's doubtful look, Jo frowned. "You can shift if you want to be prepared, but give me a chance to talk to him first, ok?"

"And let you be in danger? Not a chance, Ryker would--"

"Ryker knows I can take care of myself," Jo interrupted steadily. "Better than you realize. Trust me, Lexi."

Lexi seemed reluctant, her eyes constantly flitting toward the prowling shadow. "Okay fine, but I'm shifting. And I'm calling Ryker too."

Jo nodded, knowing there was no point in arguing with Lexi on that one. Nor did she want to fight about it with Ryker later if he found out they hadn't called for him after spotting a strange wolf.

She could compromise.

Jo walked forward, drawing on the steady internal warmth that she was always aware of these days. At least she no longer combusted the moment she pulled it. Now she kept it just under the surface, ready when she needed it. Ryker said when she did that her eyes glowed, almost as if she was a wolf.

She heard the tearing of clothes behind her, and then a wolf padded softly beside her, almost appearing a dark russet color in the bonfire-lit dark woods. This was one of those times where Jo found herself wishing she had the werewolves' mind-communication ability. It'd be so useful right now.

In front of them the wolf had alerted to their presence, circling as it sized them up. Probably deciding how much of a threat they were? Depending on why Duncan's group had come in the first place.

"Hey!" Jo called out, not knowing how else to start since she didn't know his name. "This isn't your territory so I suggest you head back home before the pack gets back."

The wolf paused and crouched down, eyes catching the firelight for a moment. Beside Jo, Lexi let out a low rumbling growl, her stance defensive.

"Seriously," Jo said, frowning, "This isn't a great idea."

A harsh bark escaped from the wolf as it stood up straight again. It looked around, its huge head swinging one way and then the other, and even without silent communication, Jo could tell that it was indicating that they were alone. Presumably defenseless.

Lexi snarled and took a step forward, putting herself between Jo and the other wolf, but Jo moved next to her, her hands out to her side. In front of them, the wolf cocked its head to the side and crouched down, growling.

"Lexi," Jo hissed, keeping her eyes on the other wolf, "You've got to calm down." She lifted her chin. "You're really testing my patience," she said, addressing the Duncan pack wolf. "And neither of us are really people you want to mess with."