Chapter 70

The party had definitely taken on an odd feel of almost forced revelry, although Jo would never mention that to Lexi. Nope, taking that to her grave. But, it was a little strange to think that at the same time half the pack was digging into funfetti cake, part of them were still getting treated by Brett for some of their wounds, and another part were still settling down some of the worried children. Not to mention that her own boyfriend had disappeared from her side–he'd been given the duty of making sure Duncan carried out his promises with how he handled his own pack. Charlie and Malcolm's Beta were with him, as well as some of the other wolves, while Malcolm kept an eye on everything here.

"Being a leader is never easy." Jo started with surprise, glancing up to her right. Speak of the devil. Malcolm's eyes were on his daughter, but his words were spoken quietly, meant for just her.

Now that she thought about it, this might be the first time she and Malcolm were having a conversation alone together.

Not intimidating at all.

"I can tell," Jo said, wondering what had brought this up all of the sudden. She'd observed a lot of moments that weren't easy for Ryker over the past month. But why this conversation now? What was Malcolm getting at?

"Sometimes you have to pretend everything is okay, even when it's not," Malcolm said, nodding at Lexi, for the sake of the morale of the pack. "Sometimes you have to make decisions you don't like." Now he glanced at her, hard blue gaze piercing. "Sometimes you need to support someone else in their decisions, even if you don't want to."

"I know that," Jo said, unconsciously tilting her chin up as she tried to appear confident and self-assured in front of the Alpha.

Malcolm studied her for a moment, then gave a brief nod. "I'm sure you didn't like how I handled Hayes and Lexi being mated. Hell, Ryker probably liked it even less, although for different reasons. But we need everyone behind them now if this is going to work. Our leadership needs to be a united front, and if you're on board, I know Ryker will be too."

That was a lot to process. She didn't know how she felt about the idea of being so influential with Ryker. If he ever felt strongly about something, she wouldn't want to be the sole reason he went against his gut instinct. But she also would want him to be willing to listen, maybe even change his mind if the facts warranted. So was that a good thing?

It was also weird to be included in pack leadership. She was still just Ryker's girlfriend; he hadn't even marked her yet, and from what he'd said, that was what made this all official in werwolf terms.

As if reading her mind, Malcolm spoke again. "You're his mate, Jo. It's only a matter of time before marking. If I've observed anything in the time I've known you, you two aren't going to leave each other. That makes you one of us."

"Oh."

Malcolm chuckled, and it was as if the air around him softened, like he was pulling in his Alpha vibes. If that was even possible. "I'm glad you're one of us," he said before turning his attention back to Lexi. "You're good for each other, you know. The way mates are supposed to be." And then Lexi was calling out to her dad and Malcolm was striding over, an easy smile on his face as if he'd just been discussing the weather with Jo.

Jo brushed her hand through her hair, deciding to not be overwhelmed by everything that had happened that day. Maybe when she got back home, she could have a minor meltdown or at least lay on her bed, stare up at the ceiling, and process everything.

And maybe get some homework done. If she was going to pass the semester, she was going to have to finish at least one project and pass more tests. But for now, there was a birthday party and werewolf problems to deal with. Wow, her life was weird now.