Chapter 25

"So. Are we going to talk about that?"

Ryker tightened his grip on the steering wheel. "I'm taking us somewhere we can talk."

"Is it a drive-through?"

A huff of laughter escaped him. This woman. She had the strangest way of making him smile even when he didn't feel like it. Reaching out, he held his hand open, and she slipped her long, delicate fingers into his. He ran his thumb across the back of her hand.

"I'll get you some food," he promised. "Since I don't want you to get angry."

"It's called hangry," Jo said, "I think we already covered the non-hungry angry."

Yeah, that was...an understatement. Having Duncan almost reveal everything to Jo in the middle of a public space had sent him into a spiraling rage that she had barely been able to pull him out of.

He doubted that he would've fully been able to control himself if Jo hadn't stepped in and punched Duncan like she had. That had been enough to wake him up and remind him that she was there and that it was a dangerous situation. Also, people were staring.

Jo squeezed his hand. "You okay? Or is that a stupid question?"

"I'm all right," he said, tightening his fingers around hers carefully. He was still tense, still feeling like his wolf side might make an appearance if he wasn't cautious. "But you're right. We should get breakfast." Maybe fast food.

"Mickey D's?" Jo asked, as if reading his mind. She must have noticed the look he gave her because a half-smile flitted across her face for a brief moment. "It's the only fast food I know of around here, and, you know..."

"Hangriness is real," Ryker said, nodding. He could be a fast learner when needed.

Jo laughed. Ryker felt some more of the tension seep out of him--her being happy made him happier. That was how the bond worked, he knew that, but...the bond only did so much. He'd seen miserable mates before, and it amazed him every day that Jo was the one the universe had matched him with.

Okay, the whole human thing was a bit troublesome at times.

But...

It was hard to mind that when Jo was sitting here, a teasing smile on her face, her mere presence bringing a lightness to his world that he didn't even know he'd been missing.

Even Lexi had commented the other day on how "weird" he was, smiling all the time now. His family was just going to have to get used to it. 'Cause he planned on sticking with Jo, if she'd have him. He sure hoped she would once he told her everything.

"Are you okay?" he asked more seriously, swiping his thumb across her knuckles again. "And is your hand okay?" he added, remembering just how hard she'd punched Duncan. Ryker hadn't been sure if the blood on her hand was hers or Duncan's, though it mostly smelled like Duncan. Which, come on. Duncan smelled terrible. No one wanted that lingering on the same hands they would use to eat breakfast. That was just disgusting.

"No, it's totally falling off. It might have to be amputated."

Ryker rolled his eyes and frowned at the windshield. "I'm asking for real."

"It's fine." Her hand shifted and then caught his thumb. "I'm pretty sure my knuckles are going to bruise, but really, it'll be okay." Smug enjoyment drenched her voice. "It was worth it. Do you think I gave him a black eye?"

"Yeah, definitely."

"Good."

They settled into companionable silence as they rode to McDonald's and picked up breakfast and coffee. Ryker flipped on the radio, and they devoured sausage and egg biscuits to a backdrop of Led Zeppelin and ACDC on a classic rock station. He headed west, going further into the mountains, taking the curving roads easier than he normally would for Jo's sake and for the sake of their breakfast. He didn't want iced coffee flying out of the cupholders.