Chapter 61

They needed to meet Duncan before the other pack could reach the party. And they needed Blake with them so less bloodshed happened. If Ryker had had any idea that Duncan wouldn't know what happened to his Beta, he wouldn't have kept Blake this long. And it wasn't really Charlie's fault. Jake was just a power-hungry idiot and--

"What do you need me to do?"

Jo's voice broke him out of his internal emergency planning session. She was still next to him, her eyebrows knit together, stance ready. When she asked what she was supposed to do, she really meant it.

"I need to find Duncan before he gets here," Ryker said, frowning. But that would mean leaving Jo behind again, and that was the last thing he wanted to do. She would be safe surrounded by this many werewolves, and she could take care of herself...but still.

"I'm going to find him," Malcolm said as he approached, his eyes dark and menacing. "You're going to go get Blake."

Ryker instinctively straightened his shoulders. "This is my problem--"

"Which we're going to fix by giving them back Blake," Malcolm said firmly. "But we can't give him back if he's at the cabin."

His dad was right, Ryker knew that. Still, there was part of him that was aggravated with his dad for not trusting him to handle this. But the more rational, human side of him knew that his dad had more experience with handling tense relations between packs. He'd probably talked down aggravated Alphas before. Ryker needed to get it together for the sake of his pack.

"Ok," Ryker said, giving his dad a tight nod. "I'll go get Blake."

Malcolm surveyed the party for a moment. "I've asked Brett and Aaliyah to stay here with Lexi and the pack, just in case. Hopefully the fight will never reach here."

Jo was looking at him, the question she'd just asked still in her eyes and Ryker put his hand to her back, drawing her close to him. His dad has just made his decision easy. "Jo will go with me," he said, "since Brett and Aaliyah are here."

Malcolm nodded, eyes assessing Jo for a minute. "Good idea, I hear Blake likes her." Ryker grimaced, but Malcolm had already turned and headed toward the woods.

"Hey," Jo said, squeezing Ryker's arm slightly as she turned him toward her. "You good?" He knew what she was asking. Was he under control and ready for this? His wolf was feeling challenged by his dad, by Blake...it was a lot to reign in right now.

The only good thing about that was that if it came to a fight, he was good and riled up.

Okay, some people would say that was a bad thing.

But you had to focus on the positives.

"I will be," Ryker said, pulling her closer, just to hold her for a second. "Sorry I spoke up for you, are you okay coming with me?"

Jo smiled up at him, running her fingers through his hair in a way that was instantly soothing. "Of course. Wherever y'all need me tonight.

"With me," Ryker said immediately, then gave her a sheepish look. "Not just 'cause I want you with me..." although that was always a given, "but what my dad said," it felt like he was practically grinding his teeth, "is probably true."

Jo hid a smile in his shoulder, but her eyes couldn't hide her laughter. "Mhmm."

Ryker rolled his eyes and moved away, grabbing her hand to pull her toward the forest. "Let's go get him."

"Won't the car be faster with me tagging along?"

Ryker shrugged. "As long as you're willing to run, tonight it won't be. The cars are pretty blocked in with all the party guests." Ryker could see the doubt creeping into her eyes–probably worrying she was holding him back or something crazy like that. As if she could ever.