Chapter 59

"Isn't two coolers of ice considered overkill?"

"Dad likes to be prepared," Ryker said as he slammed the plastic bag ice down on the porch with a controlled amount of strength; enough to shatter the melted together pieces but not enough to make the bag explode and send ice scattering across the wood beams.

Jo was perched on the porch railing, watching him, her brown eyes curious and dancing. They had been helping out all morning and afternoon with the last parts of preparation for Lexi's party, which would be starting in less than an hour. People were already starting to show up, mostly members of their own pack so far. He caught some of them glancing their way every now and then, probably watching to see how different he acted now that Jo was there. The news that his girlfriend was actually his mate had spread rapidly after the bonfire party, and he was sure that everyone knew now.

Jo had spent the night again last night, which had meant another night on the floor for him. His dad wouldn't have it any other way, and Ryker knew better than to try to get away with it anyways. Malcolm would know. He always knew somehow.

"You could keep a pack of werepenguins happy with all that ice."

Ryker picked up the bag of ice slowly. "Were...penguins...?" He tore open one end of the bag and dumped the ice into the cooler.

Jo grinned. "Yeah, vicious scary werepenguins. Totally a thing."

Ryker's eyebrows knitted together, and he stepped over toward her so he could properly loom over her, arms crossed as he balled up the plastic bag in his hand. "Do you know any werepenguins?"

She smirked, tilting her head back to meet his gaze. "Not yet, but at this point, it seems like anything is possible."

"Jo. Just so we're on the same page. Werepenguins. Aren't real."

"Mhmm, okay," Jo said with a small casual shrug. He was surprised that it didn't look like it hurt, what with the wounds on her shoulder, but she seemed all right. Brett said that her claw marks were actually mending pretty quickly, at least for a human, and it looked like they had been healing for almost a week instead of a couple days. "But when one shows up, you owe me."

It was his turn to smirk. "What exactly am I going to owe you?"

"I'll figure that out when the penguins invade."

A muffled laugh escaped him, and he bent down to kiss her, quick and sweet.

God, he loved this woman.

"I'm going to go get ready real quick," Jo said, hopping off the railing with a grace that made heat rush through him. Several days of sticking to his dad's rules of propriety was really starting to get to him.

"I could join you..." he suggested hopefully. He could do with a change of shirt, he'd been sweating in this one all afternoon.

Jo shook her head, lips fighting a smile, "Nope, Aaliayah and I are also helping Lexi with finishing touches." Oh yeah, that grand entrance thing girls liked to do at big birthday parties. He gave Jo his best wide-eyed, disgruntled look, but she was already developing an immunity to it apparently.

"See you in an hour," she said, resting a hand on his bicep as she stretched on her tiptoes to give him her own brief kiss. And then she spun on her heels and disappeared into the house.

Ryker didn't even realize he was staring after her until an elbow nudged him, followed by a chuckle. Ryker turned to find Brett and Charlie, ready to haul the coolers out to the food area.

"Someone is so whipped," Charlie said, smirking.

"Someone wants to be put back on guard duty."

"Not fair, man," Charlie said, throwing him an annoyed look as he lifted a cooler. "I can't wait till that guy's annoying ass is back in his own territory."