Chapter 63

If the wolves were going to attack, the plan was put on hold when Blake bounded over to them. He jumped around like a puppy, tail swishing, massive paws flopping around. He butted his head against one wolf's shoulder and then smacked another in the face with his tail as he passed by.

Jo gave Ryker's fur a gentle squeeze. He was tense but he didn't seem uneasy. Instead, he seemed in charge and ready for anything, though that was a feeling more than a certainty.

She wasn't sure how they were going to have a real conversation when none of them were human and Ryker couldn't talk to any of them. Maybe going full-on wolf hadn't been the best idea, but then again, how else could they have caught up?

Blake bobbled around to each of the wolves and then leapt behind a bush. A moment later, he stood up in human form, hands on his hips, obscured from the waist down by leaves. Ryker growled at him, and Jo rolled her eyes. Well, that was one way to get a translator.

"They're glad I'm not dead, but they sure are pissed that they thought I was," Blake said, crossing his arms over his chest and grinning. "Seeing how I'm super loved and everything. Of course they'd be upset."

One of the wolves in the Duncan group made a noise that almost sounded like gagging.

Blake smirked over at the wolf while Jo tried to hide her smile behind a hand. She slid off Ryker's back, ignoring the low rumbling sound emanating from him. It was obvious these wolves weren't going to attack them anymore. Or if they were, she'd barbecue them. Simple as that.

"So do they know where Duncan is?" Jo said, jumping straight to the point. Unlike Blake, she was highly aware of the importance of time right now.

"Yeah..." Blake glanced at the wolf closest to him, eyes defocusing for a moment before he grimaced and looked back at her, apologetic. "He isn't in range because he led another team around the other side of the mountain toward the Monroe house."

A furious growl tore from Ryker as he swung toward his home and Jo quickly grabbed at the fur along his neck, reminding him she was here. "Wait," she said softly. "We need to find out anything important before we run off." His body was trembling with the need to move, but she could tell he was going to wait. Jo glanced at Blake sharply.

"How many? And can you and this group try to intercept them and stop them while we run to the Monroes?"

Blake frowned and rubbed his chin as he looked at the other wolf again, taking a few precious moments before finally looking back at them. "I've asked them to try to intercept Duncan, but I'm going to go with you guys in case they miss him. Otherwise he won't believe you if you say I'm alive."

Blake rubbed his neck sheepishly and looked off into the woods, mumbling to himself about idiots and how they were too damn loyal for their own good. Jo had to agree. Life would be much easier right now if Duncan wasn't so attached to his Beta.

Too bad it also made it harder to hate Duncan now, almost as if he was a slightly decent human being. Much easier to hate the guy you might have to burn to a crisp.

"Sounds like a plan," Jo said, looking down at Ryker. "Want me to come with you guys or head back to the car?"

In an answer that didn't surprise her one bit, Ryker lowered his haunches again. God, they were going to have to develop a wolf-saddle or something if this was going to be a regular thing.

Jo climbed back up onto Ryker's back, burying her hands in his thick fur and getting a good grip. Blake joined them in his wolf form again, looking gangly and a little scruffy next to Ryker. He swished his tail and turned in a circle as Ryker started forward again, gaining speed quickly this time.