Ambushed

Everything had happened so quickly; the battle was already over when her sleepy brain awakened fully. A firm hand restrained her as she jumped from her bedroll. A few words were exchanged in elvish, the sweet chanting tones barely disturbing the silence. Even if she could not make up the words, the young lady froze, understanding the need for silence and stillness.

The hand lifted from her shoulder and Frances caught her breath, sending her senses forth to scan the area. Several dead orcs lay dead on the improvised battle field, their blackened blood scattered amongst the grassy slopes of the holy wood. Albeit all creatures of the dark lord seemed incapacitated, tensions still oozed from the company of cloaked wardens. To anybody the change would have been imperceptible between a wary elf and the common expression they usually wore, but Frances could feel it nonetheless. It was a sixth sense she had always had and it was a part of her.

Everything spoke of danger. It could have been their postures or the intensity with which the marchwarden scanned the surroundings that gave it away; she could simply feel it in her bones. Something was coming. She had never seen elves being so focused, so acutely waiting. It was like impending doom was upon them, the tension so thick that it made her bones ache. Exhaling slowly, she waited, opening her senses to whatever was coming. A growing sensation of evilness slowly crept under her skin, the little hairs over her nape standing on their own.

A loud screech tore the silence and Frances nearly jumped out of her skin. The light bulb lit up in her brain. It was this unbearable noise that had woken her up, this frightening scratch of nails over a chalkboard. Dread filled her body with its claws. She knew ... she knew that whatever was coming was worse than anything she had faced before, potentially worse than her recent encounter with the Nazgûls. But how could it be so, when the ringwraith brought such despair with them? What could possibly be worse than the evil ghosts?

For a moment – eternity ! - nothing happened, and the waiting would have been enough to drive her mad had it not been for the comforting presence of the elf beside her. The guard, whose name she had already forgotten, stood still, his sword at the ready. The characteristic shuffle of scattered leaves was heard, quickly closing in around the isolated group of marchwardens. Whatever came in their direction was moving very fast for nothing else than shadows could be seen in the golden forest.

Another loud screech.

In a blur of crunched golden leaves a dark mass descended upon them at frightening speed. Only a reflex saved her from being struck down by a wandering appendix as she leapt aside and drew her sword. The blade slid over a solid filament that rung with a metallic sound, the elvish weapon biting scales. As she regained her footing, the creature gave a horrible high-pitched noise. And then she saw it.

A gigantic spider faced her, its ugliness having nothing to envy to the horror movies of her childhood. With its scaled legs and rounded body hanging in between, the dark creature was the scariest animal she had ever seen. Her arachnophobia kicking in immediately, Frances could not even scream and she found herself totally paralysed by the sight. Unfortunately, the monster before her wasn't humanophobic and ready for a counter attack.

Frances could not breathe, she could not move... it was a nightmare. The creature played its fangs in anticipation, and she lifted her sword by reflex. The blow landed true, thank goodness for Glorfindel's blade, effectively slicing through the beast. Frances yelled at the top of her lungs, terrified.

Helpless.

The spider would have hacked her into pieces if a guard had not shown up. The rest of the fight was a blur, but Frances could not remember any of it. She crouched in a corner of the talan, trying to take as little space as possible, hiding shamelessly as the marchwardens battled fiercely. Why had she insisted on accompanying them? It was such a horrendous sight, those eight legs still moving around as spider's heads were severed from their bodies.