Sailing

I was listening to this great piece when I wrote this. It makes me feel good. It's from a composer I met, and he is struggling a bit at the moment. If you want to know about him, follow the link: https://gofund.me/db9fb97a

He really deserves the praise and the support !

The ship's deck welcomed the sea breeze, cooling off the warmth of the afternoon. The sun shone vibrantly, its rays playing with the sails, creating pockets of dancing lights in the waters. The deep blue of the sea should have been a relief since the call of the gulls had been one of his deepest desires for three years. Yet, Legolas still felt that his heart, though relieved, would not heal. He wasn't happy, even in this idyllic environment. Even though he'd fulfilled the yearning of his heart, the great ship that took the undying lands where he belonged, didn't fulfill it.

Truth be told Legolas felt miserable. His promise to Aragorn, and the betrayal he committed by giving up stirred in his soul. Yet, it was just too painful to stay in middle earth. Would his broken soul find peace in Aman ?

Elrond's sons seemed to think so, but no one knew if it was just wishful thinking since none had heard of Celebrian their mother, ever since she had sailed from the grey havens. Sighing, the elf decided that it was time to bid his own friends one last goodbye.

Just as his foot touched the first cord, his heart lurched. Rapid emotions swirled within his soul, fear, longing, and most of all, fierce determination. Legolas frowned, hands frozen upon the rough rigging; he had not felt so keenly ever since Frances' departure. Days, months and years had passed in a haze, his soul clouded in greys instead of the vibrant colours he was used to. Was his soul awakening in fear of what he left behind ?

Blood rushed in his veins, filling him with a great deal of unrest. Suddenly, the wood elf surged anew, the need to do something fuelling his limbs. Legolas climbed the rigging swiftly and settled on the mast at the very top. Ignoring the fluttering of his heart, he cupped his eyes to search for Aragorn and Gimli. They were not in the port, so he scanned the shores.

There !

Both King and dwarf stood upon a cliffside, making signs in his direction. And yelling, probably, but the wind wouldn't allow him to understand their words. Legolas frowned; what could be so important that it had to be told now, and could not have been said when they parted? Studying the signs with attention, his brain finally acknowledged some of them. Swimming? Why would they sign such a thing when everything they had left to say was goodbye?

Gimli them pointed at something in the water, and the things suddenly clicked into place. A familiar dread crept up his spine, an emotion he had not felt for years.

Swirling around the mast, Legolas ordered all sails to be taken down. At once the ship filled up with sailors, no one questioning the orders of the prince of Greenwood. One by one, the immaculate sheets were folded and secured on the yards, and the elf eventually got a good view over the endless sea. His keen eyes searched, time stretching while his chest heaved in expectation.

Determination, once more, washed like a wave against him. Somehow, he knew... he knew that those emotions didn't belong to him, because he had given up on them long ago. Those emotions came from the bond...

Frances !

No one but her could have taken such a plunge into the sea to reach him. No one sane enough! Joy, fear and incredulity flooded him at once, and the elf nearly lost his balance such was the anticipation. What if he was mistaken ? Could he survive the disappointment ?

At last he saw her, a little figure struggling in the waves some distance from them. The plastered hair did hide most of her face, but there was no doubt as to who she was. The fiery strands gave her away.

By the Valar.

Legolas suddenly felt light-headed, his long-lost energy returning in waves as hope permeated his soul. Could it be true? Was he not dreaming? Squeezing his eyes shut, he counted to ten before opening them again. And then, the incredible truth was revealed. Frances had come back for him!

At once, Legolas shouted to the crew to turn around, showing them the lady swimming towards them. His heart threatened to leap out of his chest, his glow growing by the second. Shouts were heard on the deck while they tried to adjust the trajectory, but the elf could not hear anything while he tried to reach for her through their bond. She was exhausted, but resolved. He frowned. Would she manage to hold on until they came? There was no point jumping down; the boat would be faster than him and his efforts be wasted. But he could let her know he was there. Putting his hands beside his face, he screamed at the top of his lungs.

"Frances! Hold on meleth!"

Legolas voice was all it took for Frances to weep with joy. Lifting her head, she saw the ship change course towards her. She would have yelled back to him, but exhausted as she was, she just laid on her back and started floating around to rest. Minutes passed, minutes that seemed like hours to her.

Frances jerked. She had nearly fallen asleep in the cold water. Hypothermia was getting dangerously close; if she did not pay attention, she would be dead soon. She started moving again to restore some warmth to her frozen limbs.

At last, the white wood of the sailing ship towered over her. And at the prow stood Legolas. Tall and proud, as bright as she remembered, his face glowing happiness - or was it their bond that flooded her with such light ? She had never doubted his feelings, but seeing how his features shone wiped any of her doubts! Taking one last sprint, the young woman began crawling her way to the ship. It took everything she had left, but soon she was fending off the waves and came in reach of the majestic vessel, panting heavily.

Legolas watched her progress with wary eyes. The amount of energy that was needed to break the waves countercurrent amazed him, and it took all of his will power not to jump into the water himself. They were getting closer.

"Don't let go !"

Frances stopped swimming, lifting her head up and locking eyes with him. Legolas' knees buckled such was the intensity of her gaze. Longing, love, amazement, admiration, disbelief and pure joy. All of it in one simple look.

His people dropped a rope ladder over the side. But his eyes would not leave hers. He couldn't take the risk; if her body failed her, he would jump and retrieve her in a heartbeat. As long as his eyes were strained on her, she was safe. But it was no use worrying, for Frances was steady. Exhausted, but steady.

The ship glided towards her, its speed reduced, and she swam out of the way. Legolas descended the ladder in a flash, one of his hands safely secured on the rope, his whole body angling down to retrieve her. It felt so strange to be back there, and at the same time so natural. Legolas extended one hand in her direction; she did the same. As their fingers touched Frances dove into his deep ocean eyes, and she knew that she would never leave him again.

But she was cold, and her muscles so stiff from the effort than she could not manage to close her fingers against his. Legolas grabbed her wrist and lifted her up effortlessly, bringing her slender frame flush against his. He gasped, feeling the coldness of her skin against his soaked tunic. Hypothermia was only a breath away, and only now did he realise the folly of her actions. She had nearly died to join him!

She would now be sinking into the bottomless Ocean had his friends not managed to warn him. This realisation made his heart stutter, and the prince crushed her shaking from his chest.

"I have you, meleth nín."

Warmth spread into her chest; his scent surrounding her for the first time in three years. Tears of joy sprang from Frances' eyes, but she was too winded to speak. Legolas kept her locked into his side as the rope lifted them up to the quarterdeck, repeating her name as he held fast. The feel of his body against her, after so long, caused her own to hum.

Everything was so familiar; the touch of his glowing skin over hers, the pressure of his warm muscles, the subtle scent of pinewood, his silky hair floating in the wind and caressing her cheeks. She wanted to hug him so badly, but her arms were too stiff to even grab his tunic. She was absolutely spent, so helpless that they had to hoist her up like a rag doll. Legolas' grip, though, was secure around her waist. It held a promise; the promise to never let go.

At last ! Reunited. Can you believe that this is the 99th chapter ? Wow.