Of Arwen and Eowyn

Of Eowyn and Arwen

The second day found Eowyn aside Aragorn again. To an outsider, it seemed like she was attempting to fulfil her duties as royalty by entertaining a man of valour. However, Frances felt that she was hoping to gain some insight about the man himself. Strider held true, providing answers where there was information to give, hiding others in order to protect Frodo, and keeping silent when need be.

Trailing behind the couple, Frances had to admit that Aragorn was a natural at diplomacy. If the Valar granted him the kingdom of Gondor, no doubt that it would strive under his rule. He probably had in mind that his relationship with Rohan was of great import in this war as well as in the aftermath. But at some point, he would have to disappoint the White lady. There was no escape from her infatuation; given from the tense's posture of the ranger, Frances gathered that he knew it as well.

Eventually, it was Arwen herself who breached the subject. Not literally, of course, but Eowyn asked about the pendant that clung around Aragorn's neck. The Evenstar, a jewel so beautifully chiselled, so elegant and so bright that it encased the light of the moon itself. Gently resting into Aragorn's worn-out shirt, the Evenstar showed herself once in a while below the leather bound that held his bow and quiver. The jewel seemed to be playing hide and seek, sometimes disappearing in the folds of fabric, sometimes casting its light for all to see.

And so Eowyn asked the fateful question. And Frances could feel Aragorn's hurt in her bones. The ranger's face fell, his answer long to come:

— "By now, she should be sailing to the undying lands."

Frances gasped, breathing out evenly so as not to alarm Aragorn. This was ill news to her, news to which she could give no credit. Was Arwen supposed to leave the shores? Not in a million years would she believe it lest she saw the Evenstar herself boarding a boat in the grey havens. Each time that Arwen had mentioned her love to Aragorn, there had been no doubt that she considered her future with him, that they could share a life after the war. Everything in her eyes, in the tone of her voice had conveyed this undying love for him.

Frances still felt goosebumps at the souvenir, experiencing such love that it would grow over centuries and never die. The elleth would sacrifice anything to her beloved, her life if need be. Not in a million years would Arwen turn away from Estel, even to save herself.

Eowyn's features froze, and to this she had nothing more to say. Misled she may be, but not stupid. After a few minutes of silence, the lady excused herself and left Aragorn's side. Her gaze met Frances' stare, a cold look who confirmed that she'd better forget about ensnaring the ranger. The young lady watched Eowyn's posture as she retreated to her people, shoulders slumped a little from the difficult news directed to her. Frances frowned, ashamed of herself for being so harsh.

She understood her desperation. Eowyn, had, like a princess of old legends, been caged for too many years in a dungeon. The presence of Grima, sneaking on her at all times, the fall of her uncle, the toll of her kingdom crumbling down had crushed her. Their the company brought her freedom. The release of Saruman's hold on the king, and her daily life. It was little wonder she had fallen in love with her saviour; the man who had come and broken the bars of her prison. Still, he was not what she thought him to be. Eowyn needed to move on, she needed to see the ranger as the human being he was, and not the symbol he represented.

Frances hurried her stride to catch up with Aragorn, falling in step beside him. The ranger was silent, only acknowledging her by a stray look as his thoughts took him to Imladris. Had Arwen left yet? Had the city of his childhood been emptied of all souls, abandoned to time for ruin and nature to overthrow? Such was the passing of time for the elves. But to him, a human, no matter how long his lifespan, seeing the elf inheritance disappear was terrifying.