Cécile, the life saviour

Some of Frances' background resurfaces here. The short version is; she met a certain Mulder and Scully who were on a mission in Interpol - France for a while, and took her under their wing. As she travelled with them in the summers, Frances stumbled upon the Keeper of Time necklace, but kept it a secret from her mentors.
Last summer, as they investigated rumours with Mulder and Scully, the trio stumbled upon a secret base called Stargate Command.
Mulder enrolled at once in hopes of finding his long lost sister.

One day passed. Twenty-four excruciating hours to which she felt every damn second. How could she continue living like this, with this gaping hole embedded in her chest? Each breath was a struggle, each thought a regret. Nothing in this world made sense, everything was too clean, too noisy, as lifeless as it was meaningless. Hospital food was a nightmare as well, and her parents' visit in the morning had been quite a torture.

She could not tell them the aches of her heart, nor the dilemma she found herself in, nor the reason for her sorry state. She could not tell them ... anything. None of it, lest she found herself committed in the psychiatry ward. How badly she would need a shrink! But she would trust no one with this information. A normal psychiatrist would commit her directly. A corrupted one could contact the government, and she would be in very deep shit. Experimented upon, they might steal her rock and attempt time travel, or torture her until she managed to sell all her secrets.

No. Talking was impossible. She should have been used to it; while working with Mulder and Scully she had, for a long time, been the witness to weird things that could not be told. Secrecy and Interpol rules and all. But at least, they could talk about it among themselves. Frances considered giving Mulder a phone call on the other side of the Ocean. But now that he had enrolled in that Stargate program, her secret could prove dangerous to him. He would be lying to the very people that were helping him find his lost sister, and to the American government.

Needless to say, that with his history, both of them knew they couldn't trust them either. True, Fox Mulder was one of her closest friends. But she could not bestow this weight upon his shoulders. And there was the problem of this internship they had proposed for the next summer. After saving the SGC from this horrible Goa'uld alien - by mere chance - the doctor Daniel Jackson had suggested that she joined them for a while as his apprentice. Frances and the linguist had hit it off; he was a good man.

Before her passage in Arda, the young lady had pondered the wisdom of accepting it. It could replace her Interpol assignment now closed off because of Mulder and Scully's departure. But now that she knew more about their new line of work in the Stargate program, she was not quite sure that she could keep her little secret. A time and dimension travelling object could NOT be disregarded by the Stargate Program.

Lost in her thoughts, Frances was trying to make sense of it all. But it didn't make sense. Never before had she felt so lonely! And then, someone she wasn't expecting to see knocked on the hospital door. A dark head popped up, an uneasy smile lighting her features. And Frances, ready to lash out, straightened in her bed, her mouth agape.

"Cousin!"

It was only one word, but it said it all. In a flash, Cécile was at her bedside, squeezing the life out of her. And then everything lightened. Her loneliness was no more.

"Come," said Frances, "there's a lot I need to tell you".

She literally dragged her cousin outside, enjoying the fresh air and sunlight of the warm end of March weather. Cécile followed, as she had always done in their childhood, used to the drive of her only female cousin. In the meantime, she observed her under her long dark lashes. Frances had lost weight, and the playful side of her was now gone completely, replaced by desperation. Whatever had happened was bad enough that she would be on the brink of breaking.