Crossing the gap

Days passed, and the fellowship slowly made her way through wild and inhabited lands. Frances, who had never travelled for so long before, had a hard time adjusting. Fortunately, the hobbits were very straightforward in their habits, and she copied them to find a routine. After a few days, the weariness of her muscles gave way to renewed energy; a second wind. The clothes gifted by Lord Elrond were miraculously warm, and with the soft leather boots one could go a hundred miles without a scratch. After a while, setting up camp, lighting a fire, hunting some food, everything was getting easier. Frances took advantage of every moment to train. She would practise her bow and sword skills with Estel since Boromir treated her with hostility. However, with time, the proud warrior realised that she not slow them down. It still wasn't enough to befriend her, but at least he wasn't complaining anymore.

They had stopped early for the night, glad to escape the pouring rain under pine trees. At last, after supper, the clouds condescended to leave. Frances's hands were slowly brushing the crazy strands in an attempt to discipline them to braid it. Sliding the mass of hair to the side of her neck, she worked absently while gazing into the fire. Little animation was heard as most of the group had sunk into their bedrolls. Exhausted by the march and frozen by the icy wind, none of the hobbits had wished to linger longer than necessary. Estel had offered to take first watch and the elf was settled on a rock nearby camp. His keen sight gave him a clear overview of the campsite.

Awestruck by the light dancing in the young woman's hair, Legolas could not help but stare. Fortunately, he was too far away for her to catch him staring. The reflections from the flames danced over her in red and orange, and it enhanced the natural colour of her strands which seemed aflame. Her face was shadowed by unrest and fatigue, but somehow the young lady had not settled yet. The road was taking its toll on every member of the fellowship, and now that she thought to be alone, the elf realised how tired she seemed to be.

Silent as a squirrel, Legolas made his way to the hearth, mindful not to scare her. Despite his silent approach, she turned to him much sooner than expected. Good, she stood on her guard. Satisfied with her awareness, Legolas sat neatly on the other side of the fire.

- "You should rest my lady, I am afraid that tomorrow will be no easier than today and Estel is watching the company. I assure you that there exists no more skilled guard than he..."

- "I am no lady master elf," she replied without animosity, making this shocking sentence an unquestionable statement. "As for Estel I am aware that we are as safe as possible under the circumstances, and I fear not ... well not so much anyway..."

Legolas cocked his head aside, considering her response.

- "Then may I ask what plagues your mind so?"

- "You may..."

But Frances wasn't so eager to share her thoughts with a prince, but her responses bordered on rudeness. Yet, Legolas didn't break the silence for a while, giving her a chance to reach out.

- "There are but mere mortal thoughts my lord," whispered Frances shyly, "they would not be of great interest to an elf."

- "There are reasons for every twist of the mind. The eldar are not above them."

As silence settled again, both companions staring at the dancing flames, concentrating on the low crackling of the drying branches in the brazier. For one of the first times in his long life, the elf was at loss about what the necessary course of action. Amongst his people his royal status provided him with lots of company. The attention that was given to him as the Prince of Greenwood eased the relations, and sometimes he even wished to be left in peace when present at his father's court. Elleths were hunting his presence, and the little solitude a treat. Feeling unwanted was a first. It wasn't his pride which accommodated the refusal, yet his feelings were bruised. Legolas had always been curious, and his friendship with the ranger sometimes made his father. Learning from others was embedded in his character like the salt was in the ocean, and so Legolas hoped to share moments of connivance with the members of the fellowship.