The end

Three days passed before Arod regained the safety and comfort of Minas Tirith's stables. Three days during which the newly called Melenwë and Legolas roamed the hills of Ithilien, making plans for the future, ecstatic, at the new prospect. They had decided to settle close to the sources where Melenwë was baptised, thinking about houses that would be halfway between the wooden talans of Lothlorien and a more conventional human house. There were no words to describe how joyful they both felt, their bliss enhanced through the tight bond they now shared. The perspective of this future together, of a new settlement to heal the earth under the gentle guidance of wood elves, was a wonderful adventure for Melenwë.

For now, they were regrouping before setting off to Greenwood, spending a few days in Minas Tirith to enjoy their friend's company. Their chamber, the one they had shared during the war of the ring, was a welcome and familiar haven in the ever-changing perspectives of the newlyweds.

The moon was shining brightly, and Melenwë grabbed a glass of wine and dashed on the balcony, admiring the view of the white city rising back from its ashes. In the dark mountains of Mordor, there was no glow, no great eye, not even a reddish light from the Orodruin. With Sauron gone, the volcano was dormant again. It was such a peaceful sight, with the anduin sparkling under the moon, bringing forth all sorts of memories. But life had changed, SHE had changed from that fateful day when they had pledged their troth. She was Melenwë now, and no longer Frances, and weird as it seemed, it felt right. Frances was the Keeper of time, her twin sister in a very crooked way. She, Melenwë, would be Legolas' devoted wife and aid to restore the land of Ithilien.

Her beloved sword rested on a bench, carefully oiled and sharpened by her husband. It had been a great surprise to wield it anew, even if no dire circumstances had needed her to unsheathe it. Ithilien was now a peaceful land. Yet, she had sparred with Legolas, and happily realised that she had not lost her edge. Her technique had shifted a little, suprising Legolas, thank the Aikido classes for that! The blade, though, felt a tad foreign in her hand. It took her a while to understand why, but now she knew the reason behind the strange sensation. The sword had been Glorfindel's present to Frances, a blade attuned to her needs, to her personality, a blade fit to save her life and answer her soul's call, a blade created by the grace of the Valar to their champion through the channel of the Vanya. Now being Melenwë, the sword did not answer to her as well as it answered to Frances. She was no longer the Keeper of Time, and didn't need the weapon as much as her counterpart, especially with her new elven husband bodyguard. There was only one thing to do; find a way to give the sword back to Frances. Melenwë could learn twin blades instead. Surely they would find a swordsmith in Greenwood to forge some for her little stature.

As she contemplated the view, Legolas' hands circled her waist, and his tall form came flush behind her. His warmth surrounded her, his fresh scent of earth and pine trees soothing her soul, the soft humming of his body attuned to hers. A few strands of his silky hair fell upon her shoulder, and her hand rose to caress it. If paradise existed, then she had found it.

"Are you ready, meleth, to be a princess of Greenwood?"

His soft voice echoed from his chest, vibrating through her whole body. Melenwë sighed, and set her glass down on the railing.

"I do not think I can ever be ready to be a princess, I simply wasn't raised to be. But I will help you, and make you proud"

Legolas tugged on her arm, and turned her around to face him. His blue eyes sparkled with so much love that her knees threatened to give way. His grasp, strong and vibrant, was the only thing keeping her upright.

"You will never need to make me proud, meleth, nor change anything to who you are. If I am proud, meleth, it is that you granted me the immense joy to be your husband. And I know that you will be the guide my people need if they so wish."