Melenwë

Scalding water surrounded her as she sank, burning the sensitive skin of her face. Frances fought the urge to stand and held her breath, listening to the gentle sounds of the stream as it lapped past her and dove into the pools below. The sensation of being sheltered, like a baby in his mother's womb, engulfed her totally, washing out the tension of the previous days.

Her body surrendered to the water's will, floating for a few moments of eternity, ears cradled by the muffled sounds of the place. As she sank deeper in the pool, Frances was so blissful, so calm that her mind shut down. All thoughts left her, her lungs emptied their content, and she felt, for the first time, the golden spark that pulsated in the very depth of her soul.

The young lady called to it, wishing for the spark to grow, and its radiance became bolder, stronger in her core. And then, as she relished in its light, she suddenly connected to the earth beneath her. Her mind roamed the damaged ground, hearing its plea to be restored to health. The trees awaited, the grass ready to spring forth, all manners of animals expectant. It was heart-wrenching, this agonised call of nature, after suffering so much, that demanded their help. And she answered that they would heed its plea. Her face was warm, no more burning. Had her lungs not demanded some precious air, she would have stayed there forever, floating about in the pool of heated water.

When her body broke through the surface, emerging from the hot spring, Legolas' jaw went slack. His worries melted away as he contemplated his wife, her white tunic dripping wet, her fiery hair moulding her curves and modesty hiding her full breasts. She was a water spirit to the core, emerging from the hot spring like a guardian of the earth, a faint glow emanating from her, so subtle that he nearly missed it. Yet, he didn't.

The elf couldn't take his eyes from her, admiring every single part of her body, of her beautiful features, and marvelling at the power behind them. All those who would deem her unworthy of a prince be damned! In this very moment, he felt that he was unworthy of her, no matter what she was. For he was sure now that Frances was not only human. The soft glow, dimming as the moment passed, was its testimony.

Beside him, Aragorn shook his head once, as if recovering his bearings. He extended his hands before him, and uttered in a strong voice:

"Rise, Melenwë, beloved daughter of the Valar. In this day hence, I bestow upon you this name. May you be worthy of it... I trust you to be worthy of it,"

Frances smiled then, and bowed to the King. Aragorn let his hand rest on her shoulder, his deep gaze dancing with barely contained pride. How she had grown, how she had changed, and she was now a true child of Arda ! Legolas greeted her with a crooked smile, and engulfed her in a linen towel, his gestures so full of love that Aragorn couldn't help but grin. It was such a relief, that his good friend could be as happy as he was, especially after so much hardship. He only wished that Frances – no, Melenwë – , had found her way back at once. How he regretted that she had not been present for his coronation; he"d have asked her to put the crown on his brow, for she had always been his support when doubt crept in. Especially in Gandalf's absence. A gentle touch on his arm told him of Arwen's presence, and he turned to her loving gaze as she slipped her hand into his.

"Something weights on your mind, my beloved"

Aragorn gave a quick glance to the newlywed couple. They had wandered a little further, and there was no escaping Arwen's prodding; she was as unsettling as her father when she wanted to be. He could, though, always try to sidetrack her.

"It is a lovely name you chose for Frances."

"Melenwë", came the Queen's chastising reply.

Aragorn gave her a sheepish smile.

"Yes. I might require a little time to get used to it. But is she not bound to run into trouble with a Quenya name?"

Arwen's cute nose crunched slightly. The subject of the Kinslaying, leading to the banishment of the Quenya language in Doriath, was a tender one, especially in Elrond's family. No one could deny that it was the tongue of Valinor, the tongue of the origins and the very first eldar who had awoken under the stars. The people of Greenwood, though, might be the most affected by this choice given that most of them had never even sailed to Aman. Yet, it did not seem to deter Legolas, whose complete love and trust were bestowed without limits upon his wife.

Arwen's grey eyes grew distant.

"I did not choose for her, my love. I only told her of my vision, and she said the name spoke to her, that it made her soul sing,"

Aragorn frowned, trying to wrap his mind around it, and failing miserably. His suspicions grew tenfold at the secretive expression of the Evenstar's features.

"If I didn't know you so well, I"d be fooled into thinking there are things you are not telling me."

His stern gaze only elicited a smile from the elleth; being under Elrond's scrutiny as an elfling had rendered her impervious to any kind of intimidation. Well, except from King Thranduil's icy eyes.

"There is much hidden from my sight, but somehow, I cannot help but feel that Melenwë was there long before us, and will be long before we pass away."

"It fits her, this name," came Elrohir's voice beside them, startling the king.

Aragorn glared at the twin, spooked that after so much time he still managed to surprise him. The dark-haired elf addressed him a toothy grin; no matter Estel's tracking skills and feats as a ranger, he remained the boy he instructed as a child, something that the people of Gondor could never wrap their heads around. Their King caught in a maze of bushes, his clothes torn and bloody, pupil of two mischievous immortal beings! Bah. Aragorn rolled his eyes but refrained from commenting as Arwen whispered.

"Yes. I did not find a name for her, but merely gave it back."

Elrohir's brow lifted in a perfect arc.

"Are you sure?"

"No, but it certainly feels that way."

Elladan's voice joined them, his expression filled with awe.

"Does it mean that she will live forever, like the eldar?"

Arwen's face fell, a lingering sadness marring her features.

"No. she is a human. Yet she bears a spark of the firstborn, and I have no idea how long she will live, my visions are so unclear! How I wish Grandma was here, and Ada also"

Arwen's face crumbled upon the weight of her sorrow, and she was suddenly engulfed in two pairs of arms.

"We are no lady of the light or mighty lords, but we will be here, Sister."

Aragorn nodded to the twins. He would never thank them enough, to accept to stay and accompany their sister in death when the time would come, like Legolas had vowed to remain until his passing. It was such a miracle that they still granted him some affection given that he would be Arwen's demise. Such was the difficult choice of the Peredhil. For now though, it was time to retire to the city, and let the newlyweds discover Ithilien.

Well my lovelies, this is the second to last chapter.