Weathertop

Hello everyone. This is my first fanfic, and the story of Frances, my OC, is a little complex. Basically, someone has bestowed upon Frances a necklace that allows her to travel through dimensions. She does not know where she goes, or why she is transported, and when she will be back. She only knows that she gets back, at some point, at the exact same moment she disappeared. And enjoy, cheers!

Fear. Unconditional and hopeless fear. The feeling struck her like a fist in the chest and she staggered backwards, breathing heavily. As her mind struggled to make sense of the horrible feeling, Frances realised that no sensible though could make its way to the surface of her mind. Cold shivers started to seize her body, and the panic threatened to overwhelm her. Frances searched frantically for an anchor, something that would prevent her from drowning in the dark thoughts that crushed her mind. In the void space that engulfed her in a hopeless state, there was nothing to observe, nothing to understand, nothing to put her brain back online and pull her out of it. Her eyes were wide open with the intensity of the seizure, and try as she might she could not shake herself out of this catatonic state.

An intense screeching resonated in the void; Frances felt her knees buckle and she stumbled down, her hands flying to her hears in an attempt to protect her eardrums from the dreadful shrill. The cry was worse than a set of nails on a blackboard and its high-pitched resonance cut through the bones like an ultrasound detonation. Pinned to the ground, Frances struggled dearly to resurface, but she could not manage to shake the panic out of her failing body.

Suddenly a cry resonated in the emptiness, its anguished tones dug into the waves of agony to reach Frances' survival instinct. Humanity tried to dig their way into the fuzzy fog that had claimed her spirit. As her consciousness started to resurface, Frances realised that the voice had shattered the glass bubble with its frantic prayer, triggering her inner instincts of protecting people. After her experience in the FBI service, following her two companions into situations that had nothing to envy to this one, the young woman had made a habit to rush without thinking too much of the consequences. It was a part of who she was, and she was ready, once more, to satisfy that impulse. Like this very first time when she had saved those people by hiding them in her wooden talan. This reckless move had been the point of origin of the whole story, her internship with FBI foreign agents and the finding of the blue necklace; her destiny. Now was not the time to crouch back; if she had been called here, then fight she must!

In the darkness, the mount seemed so huge, and more sombre even. As she attacked the flank with the ease of her climbing years and light weight, the young red head could still feel the dread trying to dissuade her from going on. Dark waves of despair and hopelessness were tingling her senses and trying to claim her back to the dark side. No matter how attractive the idea of turning catatonic again, Frances managed to shake herself, and she smiled. In the past, monsters and supernatural forces had crossed her way and she had naturally freaked like a girl, but today there was no way in hell she would give up. This was a challenge, and Frances had never lost a bet, stubborn as she was. She climbed swiftly, burying her survival instinct for a while. The dread was feeding on it, sending her images of horrible death in unknown dark hands, pushing her to reconsider her options. Too bad for the darkness that Frances had an iron will, and an arm's length experience in the domain of fright from her previous encounters. None, though, had been this talented. Pushing the darkness away from her mind, Frances wondered what she would find.

From the muffled cries that arose in the night some people seemed in a very hazardous situation; help might be welcome. Pulling her senses out like she had learnt in her meditation classes with the FBI, the young woman caught the smell or dying fire and salty food. What came next crushed her with fear? Frances stopped, her legs giving out, hands covering her face. Up there, death awaited her. The coldness enveloped her, and the young woman shuddered, biting her tongue to refrain from wailing in fear. The abominable presence of those beings was too strong to bear, but another cry shook her out of her trance. Frances' head snapped. People were in danger, they needed her! Repeating this like a mantra, she shakily climbed on her feet, and took off again. The cries intensified, fuelling her ire, and the young woman accelerated. Screeches responded to the desperate yells, and Frances nearly lost her footing on the small promontory. What kind of creature could produce such a sound? Coming to an edge that seemed to surround the summit, Frances hid behind a boulder to assess the situation. Her breath was short, from the effort as much as from her own dread.