The truth hurts

I have been asked, super nicely, to update. Didn't get much comment on the last chapter, I hope this one inspires you to leave a little word !

"Where you present when my brother died ?"

Frances blanched, her stomach dropping fast at the memory. Seeing her reaction, Pippin's hand came to rest upon her shoulder. She seized it with more force than was necessary.

"I was."

Tears welled in her eyes, and she let them fall without shame. Faramir instantly regretted his curiosity. The excruciating pain of losing his brother had driven him insane, but he had not through an instant that it would be such a painful memory for the woman whose legends accumulated by the hour in Minas Tirith. Yet, she did not seem angry at him for asking.

"I have waited a long time to meet you after Boromir's death."

Faramir's expression lightened, bringing a little life on his defeated features.

"Has he left a message for me?"

"No. I am sorry. He had not the time. But I wanted to meet you, to tell you he died honourably."

"For sure he did, he saved our lives!" explained Pippin.

His voice cracked a little. Until now, no one had taken the time to details Boromir's death to him. And nor him nor Merry had asked about it, too entranced in the war to do so. Or maybe he just wasn't ready to accept it. Their friendship had been akin to no other.

"After you were taken, the orc that shot Boromir tried to end him with an arrow to his head. But Aragorn was faster, and nearly got killed preventing it. He held Boromir's hand as he died on the battlefield. We laid him to rest in a boat and launched it on the Anduin with his horn, shield and sword."

Faramir's cheeks were damp.

"The hobbit. He told me Boromir died because he tried to take the ring from Frodo. Tell me truthfully Lady Frances, had my brother fallen for this accursed ring ?"

To this, Pippin gasped audibly. Frances closed her eyes for a second, and when she opened them, her gaze was fixated into the Steward's. How could she lie to him? No, she could not.

"It is true he had succumbed, yet he had the courage to confess this himself. This horrid ring attacked all of us, but none as strongly as Boromir. It has used his will to defend his city, to defend you from Mordor."

"And my brother was not strong enough..."

"I might not have been strong enough either, but I was too insignificant for the ring to be of use. I am glad this thing is gone. The air seems clearer, the light brighter since if it was removed from our side. I feel for Frodo, to carry such an evil burden all the way to ... there."

"I felt it too," said Pippin. "And you know how it feels like, to have the ring near, don't you, my lord?"

Faramir's pensive face nodded.

"Yes. I have come across it, and it took all my strength to let it go."

Frances observed the young man in awe. He was so different from Boromir, seemingly weaker, but in truth much wiser.

"Then you have a strong will indeed. You have shown a great deal of wisdom in doing so. You did not benefit from Elrond's council, and yet you took the best decision for this world."

"I am still unsure about the outcome of it all. But of this I am sure, had this ring come close to Minas Tirith, my father would be lost."

Pippin suddenly shuffled on his feet, hoping that Faramir would not pursue this line of thinking. Unfortunately, his prayers were purely ignored.