In Hiding

"How you are mistaken, my lord prince. Older is the perfect age for me."

Legolas' eyes widened in surprise, searching hers thoroughly. Was there a message behind her boldness? Her cheeks reddened; the heightened colours of her complexion making her more desirable than ever. Did she not see how stunning she could be when showing her true self? The gentle breeze caught a few of her fiery locks, mingling them with his perfect golden hair. The strands danced together at they stared into each other's eyes until a more powerful gust obscured her view completely.

When Frances managed to brush her hair off her face, Legolas had disappeared from her side. In the distance, the sound of fighting was increasing.

"Damn hair! Must braid it before it leads me to my death," she muttered, gathering her undisciplined mane.

"Let me help with that," said Elladan.

Frances stared at him in shock. How often she forgot of the keen hearing of the firstborn. Never whisper what you can keep silent, especially when jesting about the legendary Glorfindel and his hair! That was a lesson that should have been well learnt by now.

"Of course, you heard that."

The elf's stern gaze fell upon the flustered young lady. He had seen all and, for once, refrained from commenting. He knew when to tease and when not to, contrary to his brother. Grazing her elbow, he directed her to the steps and started untangling her messy hair. Frances hummed in contentment.

"You know, for a super warrior, you sure have a nice healing touch."

Elladan smiled.

"Fighting is a necessity. But we eldar relish in beautiful moments much more than in killing. A healer's hands must be strong, yet caring at the same time."

Her shoulders shook as amusement dripped from her voice.

"Aye, I guess it wouldn't do if you ripped my head off."

"No, I guess not."

Behind them, the clear gaze of the Prince was boring holes in his back. As he caressed her surprisingly soft hair, Elladan took his time before rebraiding it tightly. Just to let the Greenwood prince know what she liked... Smirking, he turned to Legolas while Frances stood.

"Right. At least I won't be blinded. You have my thanks, Elladan."

Before she could leave, the twin seized her arm. All mirth was gone from his features as he stated:

"Frances. We need to find a safe spot for you to hide. Your leg cannot sustain the fight to come."

Legolas was approaching, his face set in a stern expression. He felt more than he saw the argument raging in her mind, but he couldn't help relief to flood his body when she sighed. Her defeated look said it all.

"I had hoped to be able to fight once more by your side, but this blasted leg refuses to heal."

Elladan squeezed her shoulder in support.

"It is but two weeks since you sustained the wound, fiery lady. Even elves do not heal as fast as you would wish to. And the strain of the ride has nearly torn the stitches. You would not survive such a battle."

And then, just like that, humour returned to her tone once more.

"I bow to your wisdom, my dear healer. It would be unfortunate to waste your good care away."

"For sure! Ada would kill you!"

Frances turned around, welcoming Elrohir with a raised eyebrow.