To Edoras

It was so very different to ride with Aragorn. Gandalf was an experienced rider, his two thousand years spent in middle earth having somehow sharpened his skills, and Shadowfax fended the air like a bullet. The speed at which they had travelled had literally exhausted her tights, even if she had been able to use the wizard's back for support. She wondered how fast Gandalf travelled when he went alone, and the extra weight and uneasiness in the balance she brought to their company was a token of their reduced speed.

Melting inside the movements of the horse, the wizard was able to create a totally different entity with his mount, the two of them nearly turning into one mystical being, like the centaurs would have been had they existed.

Now that she had changed companion, Frances could feel her muscles starting to relax as Arod - Aragorn's steed - went swiftly through the plains of Rohan. Where Gandalf' body had been like steel the ranger's was soft and relaxing, his riding habits pushing him to remove as much of his presence as possible onto the horse's back. His hips easily followed his horse's shoulder blades. He unconsciously matched his moves, letting his lower body adapt to the pace.

Frances did not have much to do but to follow, and she let her mind wander freely as they made way to the capital of Rohan. Many thoughts populated her spirit as she naturally took in the geography of the place, many of those concentrated on Gandalf's return and on the raging of the war, but many more than expected on the souvenir of the brightness of the elf's smile.

How many times Frances had thought of her family, her friends on earth. All of them blissfully unaware of her wanderings? And yet, something else was bothering her entirely. When Gandalf appeared in its glory and death had seemed inevitable, her ultimate thought had not gone to them. Why had Charlie not popped into her mind ? Charlie, his inimitable laugh and lovely eyes, dethroned by the image of her companions.

If she was true to herself, she would admit that one loss, in particular had filled her with regret. Regret that she did not have more time to share with him, to learn from him, to make him laugh and hear his stories, to contemplate his beautiful features and princely manners. Frances shook her head in an attempt to rein her wandering thoughts.

The prince of Greenwood the great was no longer a stranger, but she could not yet call herself a friend. She had no right to. He was, by birth and by race, far superior to her. Her admiration had not waned, but she now knew why. Each day passed in his company had increased it further.

Had Legolas noted that she did not reject him anymore? The endless exchange they had about their respective cultures and the history of middle earth was extremely enjoyable, and it seemed that neither could tire of sharing points of view. His innocent questions sometimes surprised her, but soon enough she had realised that Legolas could not use sarcasm or cynism. Never had he taken advantage of his many years of experience, or his status.

Most of all he treated her with respect and attention, but never like she was going to shatter in his hands like a piece of glass. Yet, the last days had brought feelings that should have remained buried. And from the elf's reaction to their forced parting, it seemed that something was amiss on his side as well.

Frances frowned. She was not ready to dwell on it... yet. Her hand squeezed Aragorn's arm. Strider answered back with a fondness that she did not deserve. But such was the greatness of his heart. Her attachment to Aragorn was rooted deep within; she trusted him with her life, and viewed him as a greater brother. He taught and protected her, with patience and grace shared his knowledge, with nobility led and counselled. And yet, it was not Aragorn's face she had viewed last when facing death, his noble countenance replaced by the brightness of the elf's features.

It disturbed her, the importance of his presence. Where Charlie was cute and hyperactive, Legolas stood with a quiet contentment. Wait, was she really comparing her boyfriend to an elf prince?