Sons of Elrond

This illustration is not mine, but it is so beautiful that I wanted to share it. Evankart.tumblr.com.

"Birds flying high... you know how I feel... Sun in the sky... You know how I fell. Reeds drifting on by you know I feel. It's a new dawn it's a new day it's a new life ! For me... and I'm feeling good..."

Frances could nearly hear the drums starting as she sang this last verse with the drama it deserved. In the chill air of late autumn, a few wild birds hung around and the wind carried dead leaves along the rocky path. Walking down the lake after a skating session, the young woman knew the path by heart. Days after days she would walk up the mountain, or run sometimes when she felt like sweating a bit, even if she could not compete with elvish stamina. The twins had accompanied her a few times in plain sight, and many more in secret. At first she had not been able to spot them since they knew the terrain so much better than she did, and were blending with nature like no human could. However, as time passed, she had finally learnt to recognize some signs, like the sweet smell they would leave in their trail. None of them knew that she could tell them apart, a deed that was rare enough in Imladris to be celebrated. Elves felt different than humans. They had this incredible glowing energy radiating from their very souls, like a bright light in the dark. It had taken a lot of time and concentration for her to be able to detect their presence but after hours of sitting alone in her room tuning her senses she had finally managed. An elf felt like... it felt a tingling sensation of warmth pouring like a fountain of life into the surrounding nature.

So now she was singing down the path as every day, and she could feel the twins lurking behind her at a good distance. Aware that she had no chance of surprising them even by hiding skillfully she went on with her song until the end.

And I'm feeling good...

Waiting for a few seconds, standing in the middle of the path, Frances observed the close range of mountains spreading before her and closing the valley. As they would not show, the young woman lost patience ad said out loud without turning back:

- "Come on sneaky twins, get out of hiding before I get pissed".

Nothing happened for a few seconds, and then two surprised heads popped up behind heavy boulders. Keeping her gaze hard, Frances had the pleasure to see a sheepish expression pass across their fair features. Did they even know how beautiful they were, those mischievous twins, to the human eye ?

- "That was Elladan's idea", started Elrohir, recognizable by the thinner line of his jaw and the twinkle sparkling in his eyes.

- "That is untrue" started his mischief companion, ready for an argument.

- "Honestly, I don't give a damn" Frances interrupted.

Elrohir's dark eyebrows lifted on his fair face.

- "So you do not mind if we follow you?"

His tone was so alike his father's, the mighty lord Elrond, that Frances couldn't contain a smile.

- "Nope"

- "Oh then... We could keep you company..."

- "Yep"

The twins were slightly taken aback by her weird and limited sense of speech, but it seemed that she did not mind them tagging along, so they started walking with her while bickering among themselves, as was their habit. At first very excited about her visit, the twins had started to wonder if the young lady would beat their foster brother at brooding. She did not talk much, and acted very reserved and ill at ease in their father's house, even if the elves had made great effort to make her days comfortable. After hours of guessing, the twins had just come to the conclusion that Frances was a very solitary woman, like their brother, which made sense because she had travelled alone from far away and into the wilds.