Chapter 3 - Kota cont.

He swung into the driver’s side door, settled into his seat then flicked the heater on. Picking up the discarded towel he quickly towel dried his brown hair.  Peering out the window he gazed back at his dog, still standing guard. 

I had forgotten about the dog, Max.  Was he just going to leave the Max?  Was he going to leave the man and take the dog?  I didn’t know what would be the best thing to do.  I knew I didn’t want to report it to the police.  He didn’t do anything, just scared me a little.  I opened my mouth to ask Kota what he planned on doing when a car swung around the corner and pulled over immediately.  It flashed its lights at us and the driver’s side door opened.  Kota immediately reversed the car and turned, leaving Max and my attacker behind.  Who does that? He must have known the person in the other car.  Was that who he called?

We drove through some back streets then back onto a busier road. The rain had slowed to a light drizzle so I kept my eyes fixed firmly forward and tried to keep track of where we were. 

Kota pulled over in front of a tiny dimly lit cafe.  I watched as a middle aged waitress turned the sign on the door from ‘Open’ to ‘Closed.’  I glanced across at Kota, he had seen it but was getting out regardless.  He rounded the side of the car before I realized what he was doing and opened the door for me.  I looked at his outstretched hand.  He was going to help me out of the car?  People actually did that outside of movies?  I placed my hand into his and let the blanket fall off my shoulders as I stepped out of the car. 

Without letting go of my hand, Kota lead me to the cafe door and knocked on the door.  I stood looking at our joined hands.  Was this to make sure I didn’t slip?  Or leave?

The waitress inside looked up at his knock, then came to the door, opening it with a smile.

‘What are you doing out Kota Lee? Come on in, you both look drowned.  I’ll make you up some hot chocolates.  Now who is this little lady?’

‘This is my friend Sang, Sang this is Nola’ Kota introduced, moving closer behind so I could feel his chest pressing against my shoulder, ‘We just got caught in the rain and thought we’d drop by to warm up.’

Nola hustled us back to a cosy little two seater couch tucked away at the back of the cafe.  ‘You sit here and I’ll get to those drinks.’ 

I sat down carefully on one side of the couch, sitting primly so I wouldn’t have too much contact with Kota. 

Kota didn’t have the same reservations as he sat down more towards the middle of the couch, with the couch forcing me to lean against his arm.  ‘Sorry’ I squeaked, trying to back away. 

Kota looked across, then using a finger to push his glasses slightly up his nose.  Leaning forward he asked, ‘So why were you job hunting in the rain Sang.  Or should I say Carrie?’

Keeping my eyes firmly fixed on the small round table in front of us I searched my mind for a possible explanation to give him.  How do you explain two names?  ‘It wasn’t raining when I started?’  Even I could hear how flimsy a reply that was.   I glanced quickly at his face and saw a trace of disappointment before it disappeared.