Chapter 4 - Victor

I woke suddenly feeling the air shift.  Someone was in my room.  I carefully cracked my eyes open and tried to see who it was.

I felt a finger trace down the side of my face and it took everything for me not to flinch at it.  Down my face, up again, through my hair and down my face again.

‘Sang, Sang, Sang’ a voice crooned.  ‘I’m coming for you...’

I sit up, gasping.  Another night, another nightmare.  I jumped out of bed and did my usual check.  Windows locked, closet and under bed empty.

Racing into the shared kitchen/ living area and bathroom I checked every door and window was securely locked.  There was no one in my apartment, I was safe.  I just didn’t feel safe.

Looking at the time I saw it was 5 o’clock.  Today was Friday, my first day of work at Blackbourne Investigations. 

Blackbourne Investigations was located in downtown Charleston, just outside the business district.  I estimated it would take 1 ½ hours to walk so planned to be leaving by 6.15 to be there by 8.   It was nearly time to get ready.

Kota had dropped me ‘home’ after I accepted his job offer.  I had directed him to one of the nicer apartment blocks I had looked at renting before settling on my current, cheaper one.  I had snuck into the foyer, waited until he had driven off before walking the rest of the way home. 

If this job worked out, I would be able to refurbish my nest egg and even have the option of taking a bus to and from work.  I dreamed about a nicer apartment in a safer suburb but knew from experience that I mustn’t get attached or plan too far ahead.  Nest money and an additional emergency stash is what I needed to work towards, not a nicer place to live.

Quickly getting dressed and ready for work I locked the front door, double checked it was locked securely and headed down the stairs.

I munched my toast as I walked and kept my head down, avoiding eye contact with anyone who was up and out at this hour of morning. 

I was grateful that my work wear wasn’t an issue. Kota had just asked that I come dressed in good casual today.  I had dressed in a black pencil skirt with a white blouse.  The skirt was a little faded but washed and neatly ironed.  I had been a little worried if it would be appropriate if the quality of Kota’s suit was any indication of what would be expected of me.

I concentrated on the footpath in front of me, trying to keep my mind off the coming day.  I wanted to do this job, but for the first time in a long time I was extremely nervous about starting a new job.  I didn’t want to disappoint Kota after he had offered it to me.  What would the rest of the team be like?  Would they like me?  What if I didn’t fit in?  I always felt a bit like the square peg in a round hole.  Just slightly out of beat with everyone else. 

I approached the two storey row of offices it was located in.  The building was built of big solid brick, giving it an influential, solid feel.  Beside the front door there was an entrance to underground parking for the staff and company vehicles.  Kota had told me I was welcome to park there or use that internal entrance.  He would provide me my own remote today.  I don’t think there will ever be a reason for me to go down there.