Chapter 33 - Mr. Blackbourne

I felt warm and secure, my eyelashes slowly easing open before drifting closed again.

My night had been fraught with dreams and waking up in a panic to have Nathan's touch and warmth lulling me back into sleep.

Now it was time to wake-up I couldn't seem to get my body to move. I was snuggled into Nathan, my forehead pressed to his bare chest. I knew somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind that this wasn't what you did with someone you barely knew, but I couldn't find it in myself to care. No doubt later embarrassment would set in, but for now, I'd just enjoy it. I let out a small sigh before beginning the descent back into sleep.

A soft brush of something on my forehead caused my eyes to open slowly again. Nathan looked down at me, his hair mussed and an unreadable look on his face. His fingers traced a strand of hair down my cheek and tucked it behind my ear causing my eyes to flutter shut again.

Easing carefully away he silently went into the bathroom. I rolled further into the blankets, feeling his body warmth in them and drifted back into sleep.

'Sang' a soft hand on my hair jerked me awake. Wide awake. I sat up bolt straight, nearly cracking Nathan with my head. I looked around wildly before turning to Nathan. I willed for my mind to make sense of everything, blinking at him owlishly.

I staggered to my feet, rushing to the bathroom and shutting the door with a thud. I leant against the door, reviewing my night. I was blushing from the memory of spending the majority of it clinging to Nathan like a limpet. Who does that?

The horror that I didn't have my clothes in the bathroom dawned on me. I would have to go out and walk past him an additional time. I eased the door open, peeking out. I couldn't see him in the living room, perhaps he was in the kitchen. I darted across to my room and slammed the door. Leaning against my bedroom door I breathed my relief.

To see Nathan straightening from my bed, my blankets back in place and my bed made.

He looked at my position, pressed against the back of the door, 'Was there a ...' he paused and grimaced before saying in a careful voice 'a thing? You know, Code Black?'

I shook my head mutely. I had to get myself together, I was a mess. I scurried around the room grabbing my things and raced back to the bathroom. I worked quickly through my morning preparations, my thoughts on how I was going to act with Nathan this morning. How much did I say or give away last night? Nothing good came of those who knew about my problems.

With a quick glance in the mirror I checked that my hair was securely pinned back. I had parted it deep to one side, allowing for a sweep across my forehead in an attempt to detract from the white steri-stripes still on my cheek. I took in the new dress, it looked just as good as I had remembered. Picking up my jacket I headed into the living area.

I was excited to be wearing my new dress. I hoped I wouldn't feel quite so out of place. I enjoyed the heady feeling you get when you wear something new that you love, the small boost of confidence. Hopefully it would help me with Nathan.

The sight of Nathan carefully spreading toast with jam greeted me. He had toasted the last three slices of my bread and had set out two plates for our breakfast. His eyes lit up as I came closer.

He didn't seem to begrudge me anything. Always seeming to accept me and my problems. I cautiously approached him, waiting for some kind of comment about my clingy night.

He pushed a plate across the counter toward me before picking up a piece of toast and crunching into it. 'How are you feeling this morning, did you get enough sleep?'