Chapter 31 - The good Doctor hands her over

An obnoxious ring tone started up, causing me to jump slightly. I looked at my bag in horror.

'Are you going to answer your phone? It won't hurt you. However I'm prepared to answer it for you if you think it's dangerous.' Sean's voice made me jerk my head up, realizing I was looking terrified of the ringing of the phone. Maybe it was Nathan calling back, maybe he couldn't come now. I pulled it out and flipped it open, cautiously holding it to my ear.

'Hello?'

'Sang?'

'Yes...' I started slowly, 'who's this?'

The voice softened, 'It's North. Nathan said you've been hurt. Are you okay?'

Had they all been together when I called? Nathan must have shared my number. 'I'm fine North, just a teeny little scrap, that's it. Barely anything. Nothing to worry about.'

There was silence on the other end of the phone. 'Sang, you've got my number now, call me next time you need a lift.'

The faint beeping signalled he had disengaged. I pulled the phone away and gazed at the screen. I looked back up to Sean who was waiting patiently, a small smirk playing around his lips.

'We had better get to the entrance so...' he paused enquiringly.

'Nathan,' I filled in for him.

'So ...Nathan can pick you up.' He ran his fingers from my elbow down to my hand before picking it up and placing it again on his elbow. 'We can't have you wandering off in a daze now.'

The entrance foyer was deserted, a coffee shop had closed to the right of the entrance, leaving clusters of chairs and tables empty. I looked out into the night at the passing traffic.

I watched as a black SUV with tinted windows pulled over. Nathan jumped out of the car, and quickly strode into the hospital, his eyes scanning the room, his face relaxing when he spotted me. He looked at me closely, taking in the steri-strips on my cheek and ending on my hand, still entwined with Sean's arm. I let go of him, walking towards Nathan. 'I'm sorry for having to call you Nathan, I didn't know who to call.'

He reached out and pulled me into a gentle hug. My uninjured cheek rested on his chest, bringing back daydreams of a bead of sweat, travelling down it. I let out a small sigh. His arms tightened slightly around me.

'Nate, when were you planning on sharing the news of your new receptionist?'

I froze. They knew each other? Nathan didn't even move a millimetre, his arms staying around me, his thumb idly rubbing up and down against my back.

'Kota hired her last week. You just haven't been around to the offices for a little while.'

The familiarity and the relaxed way Nathan was talking didn't fit an acquaintance. I tried to remember what Silas had told me about their 'family.' Their conversation had the same feel to it, yet I couldn't remember a doctor being mentioned.

'Owen met her the other day.'

Sean let out a low chuckle, 'Oh, I see.'

Who was Owen? I couldn't remember a client coming in with that name. The only person who seemed to be more familiar with them was ... my heart sunk at the thought ... my victim with his two bodyguards.

I pulled myself out of Nathan's arms and gave Sean a smile 'Thank you for everything this evening.'

'Nate, Sang had an altercation earlier and was threatened. They implied they knew where she lived and would be coming to visit her soon.' He stopped there, looking at Nathan, seeming to silently communicate more. My gaze ping-ponged backwards and forwards, trying to read what they were saying.

Nathan nodded his head. 'She'll come home with me tonight. We'll sort something more permanent out tomorrow.'

I started shaking my head in denial. 'He doesn't know, it was an empty threat, it's nothing to worry about.'

Sean looked at me, his face grave, 'Sang, your address was right at the top of your bag, he would have seen it at a glance. Unless that's not your residential address...' He left the sentence hanging, waiting for me to deny it.

I couldn't go to someone else's house to sleep. I had a hard time getting to sleep, more so staying asleep. The fears and nightmares that plagued me at night was not something I wanted witnessed. I eased slightly backwards, distancing myself from them both.

'It's not.' I murmured quietly, dropping my eyes. I had been lying to them all without a drop of remorse but it was making me feel sick to tell them. Would they hold it against me? My lies and deceits, repeatedly getting dropped off somewhere else? I pulled my arms tighter around myself and rubbed my knuckles backwards and forwards across my lips.

'I don't live in Chipley's Apartments,' I continued, watching my feet as I didn't want to see Nathan's face at my deceit. 'I live at...'

A warm hand gently caught my wrist, tugging it away from my mouth. I looked up at Nathan, his eyes intent upon mine as he stepped closer. He kept my hand in his, while tilting my chin slightly with his other hand, 'I know where you live Sang. Kota followed you home the first night because he was concerned about you alone. It's not a good area there. I'll drop you home if you wish and make sure your apartment is secure. While you're correct, he doesn't have your address, it would be worthwhile for us to work out some better security for your apartment tomorrow. Victor has been itching to sort something out.'

They all knew? I felt my cheeks burn with shame. What had they thought of me? They had let me keep up my pretence all this time, knowing I was lying. What else did they know about me which they hadn't said?

'Thanks Sean for looking after her. I'll get her home now.'

Sean held his arms out 'Do I get a hug too?'

I wavered for a moment, wondering what to do, my eyes flicked to Nathan as he watched us relaxed. I stepped forward and gave him a small hug, his arms wrapping around me tight.