Chapter 14 - Stop! Kota time...

I settled back into the reception desk, trying to get my mind back into work mode. The messages I had written out earlier had disappeared and my desk still looked as empty as before. There was a handwritten letter from Kota scrawled onto some paper with a sticky note 'to be typed' on it. It was a fairly basic letter, which would only keep me occupied for a short while. It was going to be hard finding work to make myself indispensible.

I opened a blank document on the computer and quickly typed up the letter. Saving it onto the electronic file, I printed it out and looked at it. My first official letter for Blackbourne Investigations. The letterhead was simple yet bold. Everything about the business seemed to be streamlined and the best. I wondered where I fit in with it all.

Picking up the letter I headed down the hallway to Kota's office. Tapping softly on the door I waited for his 'Come in' to open it.

'You don't need to knock Sang, come in whenever you need to,' Kota said as he raised his head from the documents he was reading. He looked happy to see me. There was nothing forced in the way he looked at me. He looked even better than I remembered, wearing another dark business suit. He had an air of confidence and command about him.

I crossed the room handing him the letter. 'I've just typed up this for you. Is there anything else I can do to help?'

Kota scanned the letter and quickly signed it, passing it back to me. 'Thanks for typing that up. I was thinking about it at breakfast and couldn't type it up then. That can go out in the post tonight. It's usually pretty quiet on Mondays. If there is anything anyone needs you for, they'll just call. You didn't mind helping Gabriel with his outfits?' He sat back, studying me.

My finger found my lip as I thought back to the dresses. 'I did enjoy it. I don't know if I helped much at all though.'

Kota waved my reply off, 'We've learnt just to do what Gabriel says, it always is less bother. Just wait until he takes you shopping.'

He spoke with such certainty, as if he really expected Gabriel to take me shopping. Work colleagues didn't normally take you shopping. That I did know for sure. The thought of having someone watch me as I searched the bargain racks and second-hand clothing shops made me uneasy.

'If you want to check with Silas in the control room, he mentioned something about being able to use your help this morning. I have documents that will need typing up this afternoon; I just need to finish up here.'

I had to go and help Silas in the control room? For someone working the reception I was spending a lot of time away from it. Kota was the boss though. 'Okay, well let me know if I can do anything else to help.'

'Will do Sang. Don't forget to get yourself hot drinks when you want them.'

'Would you like one now? I can make you one before I head to the control room?'

Kota hesitated a moment then pushed his chair back standing up. 'I'll come with you.'

We walked towards the control room, Kota walking close behind me. I could feel the warmth of him at my back.

I paused at the reception desk, punching in the buttons on the phone to connect to the control room extension.

'Yeah?'

'Hi Silas, it's Sang here. I'm about to get a hot drink then come and help you. Would you like a fresh cup of coffee too?'

His voice perked up 'Yes please. I haven't had one here this morning, my mug is in the tea room. Thanks Aggele mou.'

I punched in the combination to forward all calls coming through the general line to reception onto the control room and headed to the tea room with a spring to my step. Hearing Silas sound so cheery had me looking forward to seeing him again.

Kota was stirring his coffee when I came in. Beside him were Silas's navy blue mug and a white mug. I quickly made Silas's coffee and poured boiling water over my teabag, leaving it to steep. Kota placed the milk beside me, ready for my tea. How did he know how I had my tea?

'Thanks,' I turned to him with a small smile. He picked up his coffee and leaned back against the bench, taking a sip of his coffee.

'I have some of my paperwork for you. I'll be able to provide you with the rest tomorrow.' I said as I walked over to where I had locked my bag away this morning. With a quick glance over my shoulder at Kota I quickly pulled the key out of the cup of my bra and unlocked the box, pulling out the paperwork I had completed over the weekend.

I handed it to Kota 'I'll have my social security number for you tomorrow.'

Kota reached out and took my papers off me, his fingers brushing against mine. He had a quick look over the first page before refolding it and tucking it under his arm.

'Just getting your papers organized are you?' he asked.

My heart stopped. He had been so accepting of the discrepancies with my name, I had hoped he wouldn't bring it up again or that he had forgotten about it.

'Sang,' his fingers touched my cheek, drawing my eyes to his, 'I know you have your reasons. I'll be here when you're ready to share them. I make a good friend if you let me.'

I felt tears gather at the corner of my eyes. He knew, and was quietly accepting. Just waiting for me to open up.

'But, if you are in danger for any reason, you must tell us immediately. Don't ever hold back. If you need anything, come and talk to me,' he commanded.

My lips quivered slightly and I ducked my head down and nodded. 'Thanks Kota.'

I felt Kota was single-handedly breaking down the walls of distrust I had built all my life. Brick-by-brick. A fragile trust was forming and strengthening. I had never felt this before. I didn't know how to respond or proceed.

A wave of gratitude swept over me. Kota had already done so much for me. If he never did anything else again, he still had already done more than anyone else in my life.

I raised my head and looked him in the eye, seeing his beautiful green eyes, framed by the black frame of his glasses, intent upon my face.

'Thank you so much Kota. For everything you have done. For saving me in the rain, the hot chocolate, for listening, for the job...'

My thanks was cut abruptly short by his finger on my lip. 'Don't say anymore Sang. It was nothing.'

I felt a surge of emotion through me. The attraction I felt towards Kota. The sudden craving I had for companionship. The gratitude and thankfulness. It took everything I had not to fling myself at Kota and wrap myself around him. He would never know how much it meant to me, his arrival when I had been so close to giving up.

I quickly grabbed the milk and finished making me tea. I felt Kota's eyes on me as I placed the milk back in the fridge and picked up the mugs. He straightened up and headed to the door, opening it for me. 'Thank you.'

I felt all I ever did was thank Kota. I hoped one day I could do something for him.