Chapter 30 - Dr. Green cont.

He guided me into the cafeteria. The dinner rush had long passed and a few waitresses were clearing tables and briskly wiping them down. I remembered that time from previous jobs, the relief that the rush was over and the realization that the end was in sight.

He waltzed up to the counter and drummed his fingers lightly on it. A lady bustled out from the kitchen, her face breaking into a flirtatious smile upon seeing him. 'Dr. Green! You haven't come to see me for a while. What can I get you tonight? I have some apple pie out the back if you're interested.'

His arm snaked out, pulling me slightly closer to him, 'Yes please, that sounds great. Could I have two pieces please with some ice-cream on the side?'

Her face dropped slightly upon seeing me before she gave Sean another flirtatious look, 'Anything for you Dr,' before returning to the kitchen.

I whispered to Sean 'You can't do that, she likes you. You don't want her thinking that I'm your...your friend.'

He gave me a sideways glance and a wicked grin before whispering back 'That's exactly what I want her to think.'

She came back, bearing two plates laden with pie and ice-cream. A faint swirl of steam came from the pie, releasing a delicious aroma into the air.

Sean picked them up, juggling my handbag and headed toward a corner table. My hands hovered uselessly towards my bag before following him.

I gave the pot plant beside the table a suspicious look before settling into my chair.

I looked down at the generous piece of pie in front of me. The sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar across the top of it with the scoop of creamy vanilla ice-cream. Since when did hospitals cook such delicious food? I picked up my spoon and carefully cracked the pastry, scooping some pie and ice-cream onto the spoon before slipping it into my mouth. The sweetness of the sugar and ice-cream combined with the slight tang of the apple was the perfect combination. I closed my eyes and savoured the mouthful. Opening them I eagerly broke some more pie off for my next mouthful, glancing up at Sean.

He still hadn't started his, he remained sitting back comfortably in his seat, his arms loosely folded across his chest, watching me.

'Thank you, this is delicious,' I said, gesturing towards his plate in hopes to divert his attention.

The soft clink of our cutlery was the only noise as we enjoyed our dessert. I could get use to this dessert. I wondered if Luke would enjoy an apple pie? The hint of vanilla in it reminded me of Luke.

Sean's voice interrupted my thoughts, 'Have you got someone you can call to pick you up and stay with you? You should have someone with you until we know for certain what he knows.'

I didn't even have anyone's number's, how was I going to sneak away from him? I paused, pulling out my new phone and rummaged around in my bag to find the list of numbers Victor had printed out for me. Picking up the square of paper I lay it on the table, carefully flattening it, trying to give myself time to think. I ran my eye down the contacts, wondering who I should call. Sean sat back in the chair idly spinning his fork around his finger, his eyes on me.

Who to call for a lift? I didn't want to bother any of them. I knew from his calendar that Kota had an engagement tonight so he was out. I tried to think of a fact that would make one of them stand out more than another. I knew Nathan lived within walking distance of where I lived, maybe he might be best. I thought back to his words about when I had left his house. He'd run the streets looking for me. He said I was always welcome. I hoped he wasn't too annoyed by the call.

I punched in his number before standing up and moving out slightly into the corridor. Sean turned in his seat casually, keeping his eyes on me. The phone rang twice before Nathan answered.

'Hello?'

'Oh hi Nathan, it's Sang here.'

'Sang! Is this your new phone?' I blinked at his cheerful tone. He sounded so happy that I had called. Would that last after I asked him?

'Yes it is, I got it after work. Are you proud of me?'

His voice deepened slightly, 'Yes Sang, always.'

I felt a little smile creep across my face before I remembered why I was calling. I glanced back at Sean again trying to get the courage to ask. Sean's eyes had narrowed slightly, watching me closely.

'Nathan,' I paused, taking in a breath trying to get the words out, 'I had a little fall earlier and I'm at the hospital. I'm completely fine, but they want someone to pick me up. Is there any chance you might be available? It's no problem if you're not, I can call someone else.'

'No. No I can pick you up straight away. Are you okay Sang? What happened?'

'Oh not much,' I thought about my afternoon activities. I had a sinking feeling Nathan wouldn't be impressed with my bag being snatched. 'I just fell and got a slight graze on my cheek. I'm really fine, the doctor is just being pushy,' I raised my voice slightly at the end, sending Sean a little glare. He smiled back at me unrepentantly.

'I'm at the...' my voice trailed off, I had no idea which hospital I was at. I looked around for a sign but couldn't see one. 'Just wait a moment, sorry Nathan,' I placed my hand over the phone and crept back and whispered to Sean 'Where am I?'

He shook his head, 'The patient doesn't even know where she is, obviously in need of close monitoring. It's the St. Francis Hospital. Tell him to come to the Tecklenburg Drive entrance, we can wait inside the entrance there.' I gave him an appreciative smile before uncovering the phone.

I pressed it to my ear to hear Nathan talking in the background. 'Hello?'

Nathan stopped, 'Sang? Did you find out where you are?'

'It's the St. Francis Hospital. He said to come to the Tecklenburge Drive entrance, I can meet you there.'

'I'll be there in 15. Stay inside, I'll come in and get you.' His voice broke off, listening to someone in the background, 'Silas wants to know if you want him to come to?'

I stopped mid-step. I was already putting Nathan out by asking for a lift, and Silas would come too if I wanted? Just like that? I thought of Silas's warm hugs. I would love to be safe in his arms right now. I shook my head to remove the image. I couldn't ask him to come just to give me a hug.

'It's fine, I'm fine.'

'Okay Sang, I'll be there soon.'

I flipped the phone shut, enjoying the sensation. I turned on my heel and headed back to the table. Sitting down, I tucked my phone back into my bag and pulled it into my lap.

'He'll be here in 15 minutes. I'll head there now. Thank you for everything,' I waved towards my cheek and the table, 'I appreciated all you did for me.'

'Uh-uh,' he answered me, standing up and holding his hand out to me. 'I'll be escorting you to your ride this evening. Close monitoring remember?' I placed my hand in his and stood. He tucked my hand into his elbow and guided me through the maze of tables towards a corridor.

The corridors were dimly lit, in preparation for the night. The muted sounds of televisions in rooms and the low murmur of voices broke the silence.

An unfamiliar noise sounded from my bag. What was that? It sounded again, repeatedly. Sean slowed to a stop and I pulled my hand from his elbow, holding my bag open to gaze into it. The small screen on the outside of my phone was lit up, showing an envelope with the number 5 beside it. Were they messages? No one had my number except Nathan. Was it from the previous owner of the phone? Were their messages coming through now it was on? I shut my bag with a muttered apology to Sean. I didn't know what was going on. I started walking again trying to ignore the phone. I would have a chance to look at it when I got home. Maybe I would have to go and see Wil again tomorrow to see if he could fix it.