Chapter 28 - Introducing...

As the work day finished, I gathered my things quickly. I redid my hair into a bun with the spare hairpins I had packed in case they mysteriously went missing again. I wanted to get to the shops to fulfil my promise to Gabriel and Nathan, to buy myself a cell. I had never had one before so was nervously excited.

I called Kota on the intercom, letting him know I was going to be off, turning down his offer for a lift.

Carefully descending the steps of the offices I caught a bus to take me to the nearest shopping mall.

The bus quickly filled up, forcing someone to take the seat beside me. I gazed fixedly out the window, avoiding eye-contact. I used the time to go over what I was looking for in a phone. Firstly it had to be cheap. I also didn't want any lock-in contracts. I really didn't know what was available, but I hoped I could find something that suited my needs and appeased Gabriel.

The bus pulled into it's stop outside the shopping centre. I waited for the other passengers to disembark before making my way out.

Everyone had that same tired look about them. The desire to go home settling in on their faces as the day went on.

The map of the centre was right inside the doors, helping me find a telecommunications shop. Boost Mobile was on the ground floor, I'd see if they had anything in my price range first.

I approached the shop with trepidation. It seemed like something so basic for everyone else to have a cell phone, but it was monumental for me.

Walking slowly through the shop, I took in all the different phones lining the walls. The prices of some of them had me nearly flinching back. I didn't know if I could justify a phone for those prices. The thought of quickly sneaking out of the shop was becoming appealing.

'Can I help you with anything today?' A quiet deep voice asked.

A sales attendant had managed to sneak up on me? I cautiously turned, with a ready refusal on my lips.

He gave me a small welcoming smile, his left brow raised over his glasses in a questioning manner. He was the epitome of cute geek, wearing the store polo top, tan cargos and glasses.

I gave him a small smile. Maybe he would be able to help, 'You might be able to. I'm looking for a cheap phone. I just need it for a few months so it doesn't have to be anything special.'

He nodded slowly, 'What about things like camera quality or data? Are any of those a concern to you?'

I shook my head firmly. 'I just need to be able to take calls and possibly text, that's all.'

He stepped backwards gesturing with his hand for me to go deeper into the shop. 'I might have something perfect for you.'

Going behind the counter he rummaged around on the shelves under the counter before placing a box on the counter. Deftly opening the box he pulled out a small black flip phone. 'This is actually a second-hand phone which is available for purchase. It's Boost Mobile certified which means it's been thoroughly inspected and refurbished to look like new, but at a fraction of the cost. They normally sell quickly but this one I only finished working on today. Would you be interested?' He passed the phone over the counter for me to look at.

I picked it up, turning it over before flipping it open. It looked like a phone. I had no experience or knowledge with them. I pressed the buttons experimentally to see if anything happened. Flipping it shut, I returned it to the counter. I really didn't know.

'How much would it be?'

He named a figure much lower than what I had budgeted for. This was perfect for what I needed. Discussing the various options of plans we worked out which one would suit my needs best. His quiet demeanour and gentleness relaxed me, enabling me to ask him to show me how to use the phone. He quickly rounded the counter and flipped it open. Turning it on he explained the different buttons and the best way to text, call and save contacts. I listened intently, trying to memorize them all.