Chapter 32 - Home Again

Nathan took in my apartment building with thinned lips. Pulling a black bag out of the backseat he slung it over his shoulder before picking up the take-away bag. He rounded the car and I scrambled to get out. Dragging my handbag up my shoulder I hunched over slightly in the cold. With a nod of my head I indicated the entrance to the apartment building.

Draping his arm across my shoulders he guided me towards the door. His gaze narrowed as he took in the foyer. I pulled back when he started toward the elevator. 'It doesn't work, we take the stairs.'

Changing our direction he opened the door and stepped inside before glancing around before letting me in. I watched him with confusion. I lived here, I was used to this and expecting it yet he was looking around like it was a war zone. I took in the flickering light lighting the dim stairwell, the trickle of water down one wall. Oh... I understood his look now.

'What number is yours?'

I shifted nervously. I had seen this apartment and surrounds as a temporary haven against the outside world. It wasn't great, but it was a roof over my head and affordable on what money I had left when arriving in Charleston. Seeing Nathan's clenched jaw at what we'd seen so far, I was nervous and slightly embarrassed at him coming with me.

'It's the third floor.'

He nodded briefly before grasping my hand and leading the way up the stairs. I thought over my options and how I could make him feel excused, that he didn't have to come in. 'Thank you for this but I really don't want to take up more of your time tonight. I'll be fine once I've reached my apartment.'

He glanced back at me before slowing slightly in his ascent. 'I'm coming in Sang. I've got to check the locks. It's peace of mind Sang.'

I nodded, concentrating on my feet as I tiredly climbed the stairs. It would be good to get to bed.

Pulling open the stairwell door we walked into the corridor. I started down towards my door at the end. Stopping in front of it I opened my handbag, rummaging through until I pulled out my keyring. Nathan slipped it out of my hand, looking at the two keys for a moment before unlocking the door. He opened it wide, exposing the barrenness of my apartment. Stepping inside he held the door for me to come in before shutting it firmly, flicking the lock. Dropping his bag and the take-away food to the ground he walked through the small room, taking in the stool by the counter and the corner kitchen. He opened the bathroom door and disappeared for a moment before coming out and going into my bedroom. He was taking it very seriously.

Normally upon returning home there was a sense of unknowing. The unknowing if someone was in the apartment, if someone had been in the apartment. The opening of each door with the anticipation of finding something I was dreading. Nathan walking through and checking the apartment filled me with relief. To not be alone. To feel safe.

'F*ck.'

I hurried to my room to see what had caused the exclamation when Nathan came back out. His eyes lowered to the carpet. 'Is everything okay Nathan?'

He looked up at me before roughly pulling me into his arms. 'F*ck Sang, I just hate it that you live like this. Most apartment buildings look worse on the outside with more upkeep inside. This one just gets worse.'

Words came to the tip of my tongue, wanting to make him feel better. I had stayed in worse. At least it wasn't in a worse location. It was within walking distance to everywhere I had to go. I took a breath and relaxed in his arms. The instinctive reaction to push away was slowly disappearing every time I had a hug.

A thud against the apartment wall sounded, followed by the accompanying yelling. It couldn't have come at a worse time. I let out a giggle.

Nathan pulled back, taking in my face before pulling me close again. 'I'm staying tonight Sang. It's not safe here with your current security.'