Chapter 17 - And He Arrives

I placed my handbag and soda on the table and flopped onto a couch, resting my head back and closing my eyes. I had failed today. Abysmally. Every small effort or stand that I attempted to make in distancing myself had been thwarted at every turn.

Here I was, having after-work drinks in the tearoom. I had never failed before at this. I was an expert at distancing. What was it about these guys that broke through every defence?

Kota had filled my afternoon with various jobs, keeping me busy enough for the time to fly.

Gabriel had pulled me in briefly for the final fitting. The dress was beautiful but too big to get any accurate representation of the overall picture. We had pondered over the earrings and remainder of accessories, before packing the dresses ready for transport. The grey dress, though absolutely gorgeous, didn't quite make the cut for the event Gabriel was shopping for, so would be returned. A part of me was happy to know that my princess dress wouldn't be worn by someone who didn't appreciate it. That it wouldn't just be worn as a means to an end.

Five o'clock had come and gone and Gabriel had declared it was time for a relaxing, after-work beverage, dragging me into the tearoom ignoring my protests.

Now Kota, Silas and Nathan were joining us for the 'relax'.

The couch beside me dipped and a finger traced over my cheek causing my eyes to shoot open. Silas grinned at me before sitting back into the couch, close beside me, and bringing his beer to his lips.

He leaned forward and picked my soda up off the table, handing it to me.

I cracked the can open and took a sip, pulling my legs and arms close to my body so not to lean on Silas.

The conversation flowed around me. I listened quietly, taking in the feel of this family. The little interactions, what they shared with one another, the desire that they had to share time with each other after work. It made me slightly wistful; thinking about what my life could have been if I had been born into a different family.

They had made this family though, not been born into it. Would I one day have a family of choice?

Gabriel leaned forward in his seat, his eyes focused on me. 'So Sang, how did you get that bump on your head?'

The room stilled as everyone turned their attention to me. Embarrassment flooded me. There was no way I was explaining the fall then running away from Nathan. I cast around my mind, searching for a way out.

I sat up straight and pointed to Nathan. 'It was his fault.'

'What?' Nathan exclaimed, head snapping up. 'What did I do?'

'You distracted me!'

Gabriel turned to Nathan. 'What the f*ck did you do to Sang, Nate?'

Nathan sat still for a moment, then his eyes shot to me and a very satisfied smirk crossed his face. He settled back in his chair, crossing his arms in front of him, forcing his t-shirt sleeves to tighten on his biceps and across his chest. My eyes dipped down slightly to his chest and arms then jerked up again, remembering.

I had done the very thing I didn't want to do. Nathan knew exactly what had distracted me now.

'Nothing Gabe, nothing at all,' he answered Gabriel slowly, with relish.

I jumped to my feet, scurrying over to my bag I had left on the table. 'I have to go now, I've got an appointment I need to get to. I hope you all have a good night.'

I turned to face them, smiling brightly, ready to stride determinedly out the door.

They all jumped to their feet.

'I could give you...'

'I'm heading off now...'

'Why don't I...'

I shook my head firmly, cutting off their offers of a lift. This was one thing I had determined I had to not allow to happen. I couldn't have them driving me 'home'. It was out of the office environment and would encourage a more open friendship, outside of work. There was also the increased chance of slipping up with where my home was. It was safer for me to keep my distance if I didn't fall into the habit of having lifts.

'Thank you all but I have an appointment. I'll see you tomorrow,' I added with a hand wave as I walked to the door. I saw Kota shoot Silas a look before turning with a smile.

'See you tomorrow then Sang.'

Nathan and Victor gave me nods and smiles, before settling back down in their seats. Silas picked up his leather jacket beside him and walked over, reaching around me to hold the door open. 'I'm heading off now, I'll walk you out.'

That, I could do. Friendly but not close.

I ducked past Silas, breathing in his ocean scent, and headed towards the door. Silas stepped beside me, shortening his steps. 'So... is it a date?'

I came to a stop, nearly tripping over my feet. What? I started shaking my head before I could even verbalise what I was trying to say. I had never even been on a date. Was that why they accepted my no so quickly? They thought I was going on a date?

'No...just an appointment.' I stared up at Silas, shock still upon my face.

His lips curved into a smile. 'Good.' His large hand touched the small of my back and guided me to the reception door, only letting go to open the door for me.

'Goodbye Silas,' I smiled up at him.

'Goodbye my Aggele mou.' He returned.

I sped down the stairs, glancing at my watch. I knew approximately the address I was to meet my contact and I had plenty of time, but I wanted to get there first.

I opened the door to the street in a hurry, a gust of wind sweeping my hair across my face, blocking my view. I felt myself collide into a solid chest. The momentum of my swinging through the door sent us both flying.

My breath was forced out of me in a rush when I landed. On top of him. My head pressed against a chest, his arms wrapped tightly around me. I was sprawled across his body. My hips and legs were between two muscular thighs. I closed my eyes tightly. How could this happen to me? I had bowled over a poor unsuspecting person. Probably a client of Blackbourne Investigations as they had been mounting the steps to the front door. His arms remained tight around me, preventing me from rolling off.

I started stuttering out apologies, 'I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to. Did I hurt you?'

I raised my head slowly, hair still partly obscuring my eyes. Grey steel eyes were looking back at me from a face which could only be described as masculine perfection. Black framed glasses were the only concession to humanity from the god I had landed on.